Dropping Bombs

We packed as much as we could food, water, two tents and sleeping bags, clothes and toiletries, and all my father's weapons. With that we piled into my mother's Suburban and made our way down the road. Before long, traffic halted.
"I think we should see what's the holdup.", I mumbled. Taking a glance out my peripheral vision to Jaqui.
"Yeah.", She agreed and we both made our way out of the car. We walked forward where a little group was congregating around a sheriffs car and a little SUV. Everyone glanced our direction.
    "Hi, I'm Jaqui and this is my friend Alanna.", She introduced us. I sent everyone a small wave.
     "Hello, I am Lori and this is Shane.", A woman with long brunette hair gestures towards a man in a Deputy's uniform, then turned to gesture towards a young boy with brown hair and a minuscule smatter of freckles across his cheery face. " This is my son Carl.".
     "I'm Carol. This is my daughter Sophia and my husband Ed.", A woman with close cropped, almost buzzed hair and a kind smile introduced her family. Before anything more could be said the sound of jets filled the air and we all glanced up.
     What we saw was truly horrifying. Three military jets dropped bombs on the city. The city where I lived for so long. Where I became myself. My home. The sight before me rocked me to the depths of my soul. Down to my core. Atlanta was no more.