The Begining

I lay in my tent listening to the sound of Jacqui's even breathing coming from her sleeping bag. As much as I try to sleep, it evades me even more so than before the dead rose up to eat the living. I huffed, finally having enough of just laying there. I grabbed my buck-knife and made my way out of my tent. Not bothering to even change out of the sleep shorts and tank top I wore to sleep in.

I made my way out and over towards the smoldering, barely-there embers of the fire we made during dinner that had eventually died out. Sitting down in a camper's chair, I relaxed and looked around. From here, I could see Shane sitting atop the RV, rifle in hand and keeping watch on the camp. He seems to have assumed the roll of leader around here. Guess we'll see how that goes. Time will tell.

"What are you doing out here Lana?", a voice whispered in to break me from my thoughts. I looked to my right to see T-Dog leaning up against a tree. Looking at me .

"I couldn't sleep.", I mumbled back. T-Dog stood up from his leaned position and sauntered over to where I was. He slumped down into the chair next to me and looked at me again.

"Wanna talk about it.", he asked.

"There's not anything to talk about. I just can't shut my mind up. I keep thinking about any and everything.", I answered back and glanced at him from the corner of my eye before resuming my straight ahead stare.

"It's okay. Same thing happens to me sometimes.", he responded. A few seconds passed by before I felt his fingers under my chin, turning my head to look at him. "We're close right?".

"Yeah, we are.", I answered back.

"I know the world went to hell, but I want you to know I'm here. In any way you want me to be.", he told me with a look of pure seriousness on his face.

"Me too, however you want me to be.", I breathed back. I barely got the words out before his lips were on mine. His hand still firmly place and his lips were gentle, yearning. I knew we got close over the past 4 weeks we've been here but I really didn't think he'd see me more than just a friend. As his lips moved with mine, my mind was finally quiet for the first time all evening.

"I've wanted to do that for awhile.", he mumbled as his forehead rested against mine.