Chapter 5

Leon and Badger would continue walking, and although it was silent, both of the cats' thoughts were the loudest they'd ever been.

The sound of their paws hitting the grass and dirt filled Leon's ears, but what filled his mind was anger and confusion.
Why wouldn't Badger talk about anything? He seemed so hostile and unwilling to even open up to Leon, what was going through his mind? He wondered if Badger was the same way before he got here. Was he once an innocent, loving cat? Or was he simply forced to change?

The walk was long, and although it was silent, Leon knew it would not be for much longer. Eventually, they reached a clearing in the trees, and Badger began to speak. "We'll camp here for the night. It'll be easier to find your home in the morning."

Leon sat down, stretching his legs and letting a heavy breath out. "Do you mind if we talk for a while? I'd like to ask a few things." He asked, watching Badger sit down across from him. The large cat shook his head, "Fine. Just keep it short."

Leon nodded and took a breath, "What happened to you?"

"What?"

"I mean, did your family die too?

Badger stared through him, his eyes told Leon that he was upset. "Why would I tell you anything about them? I hardly know you, why do you need to know about them?" Badger growled. Leon blinked slowly and shook his head. "You know what? Forget it. I shouldn't have asked."
Badger grumbled, standing up and walking around. "You should think about what you say before you say it, feline."

Leon grumbled a bit, taking out his anger on the ground by clawing at it. He wanted to know more about him. He needed to know more. He wanted to understand him, but he was scared of him too. Leon didn't know what to think anymore. He knew Badger would never tell him anything, not that it mattered. He couldn't change that fact, so he simply tried to ignore it.

Badger looked over, giving a side glance to Leon. "Don't get too comfortable with this place, it won't be around forever."

Leon looked up at him. "Why wouldn't it be?"
Badger shook his head, "Because everything dies, and you have to accept that. What's your plan for when you return home? Are you gonna try and kill your sister? I doubt you can overpower her. It's better to just accept their deaths, forget it, don't go back."
Leon paused for a while, staring at the ground. "Why would I listen to you? You're just some cat that I'm forced to work with to get home."

"So what? You'd rather die in that fight than survive with their memories?"

"I have to fight for something. They were stolen from me, and I'm going to take her life for them." Leon stood up, staring into Badger's eyes. "You might think that I'm weak, but I'm not. I'm not letting her take my life either, I'll live through her."
The gray cat's eyes widened at this response. "You're just like how I used to be." He said, turning around and lying down, "Keep thinking like that, you'll die in a week."

"I'd rather die than accept the way she made me feel." Leon stated.

"Just shut up and sleep, feline."
Leon sighed, lying down and closing his eyes, the sound of Badger's soft breaths echoed in his mind for a while. He slowly slipped into a deep sleep, no longer afraid of the night.

As he rested, he felt as though he was floating through water. He could see a distant vision of his sister, he wanted to reach out to her, but he couldn't move anything. His heart ached at the thought of her, he was so close to her, but she was still too far. She was fading away into the water, and he was struggling to reach her, it felt as though his legs were tied together. As Leon continued to watch her, he saw her become blurry, her fur changed to a dark black with white highlights. The colors faded from her, and her eyes turned blue and cold. As she faded away, Leon was dragged through the water as well. The darkness around him became darker and colder, he could feel it getting worse by the second. He wanted to scream out, but he couldn't speak or move at all, he was simply drifting through the black.