C.2 - Home Sweet Home

🎶 Playlist song: 🎶
My Songs Know What You Did in The Dark
By Fall Out Boy

The drive to the compound was only an hour but it felt like eternity. I felt no life in Xander as he sat in the car, frozen to his seat. A statue.

It's not the first time. We have been partners for four years and so we have seen each other at our lowest moments courtesy of the Dello Russo duo.

Matteo drives past the front door of the corporate headquarters and goes around to the back where a beautiful white Stucco mansion hides and ten acres of land with a wooded area and a pond stocked with fish. There's a small roller coster track in one of the far back corners with bumper cars and a multi person swing set ride. All built 5 years ago as a gift for Alessandra. The other back corner, a mini farm managed by Mr. Costa who is the chef on the compound. It had two cows a few pigs and chickens. There are 2 rabbits and Three horses, again, a gift for Alessandra. There were a few dogs that I had requested to stay in their dog runs while Alessandra played in the courtyard. There was a huge pool with a descending shallow end. There's an island, a water slide, rocks to jump off of and the ability to create waves. There's a swim up bar to eat and have drinks too. Everything a person could dream of having, but in my reality, it all came with a heavy price.

"Home Sweet Home guys." I heard Matteo sarcastically chant, as he parks the car in the underground garage. We get out of the car and I and Xander stand at the back.

Matteo comes and stands in front of both of us. He looked down as he rubbed his well shaved goatee, "Look. I don't hate you guys," he started as he looked at Xander and I, "under different circumstances I would totally hang out with you guys. Really, I would," Suddenly Matteo's expression changed as his voice darkens, "but we are in THIS circumstance and I would appreciate if we stick to the 'Im YOUR boss and YOU work for me' mindset."  Matteo looked between Xander and I, " Do we agree to this?"

I glanced at Xander quickly and hoped Matteo didn't notieced, "Yes sir." I said going first to break the ice.

"Yes sir." Xander said.

Matteo smiled a big grin, "Perfect. Go! You're off duty for now. Go get a drink, eat, swim in the pool and relax," he looked at his Apple Watch, "we'll meet at the office at nine pm." Matteo said and bowed his head to us and walked off.

"One day I will hang that jackass for what he did to you." I heard Xander say in a low tone.

I looked at him with sympathy, "Thank you, but I'd like the pleasure of ripping his dick off and feeding it to his dogs first." I said as Xander and I walked to the foyer.

I looked at Xander as he smiled at my comment, "You win. You get him first and I'll take his father."

I smiled at our fantasy as my heart feels lighter now that Xander's back.

The house has marble floors everywhere and cherry wood on the railing of the stairs and white walls.

I see Nina, Alessandra's Nanny. My heart jumped to my throat, "Ola Nina. Where Ali?"

Nina looks at me with no expression. She has learned very quickly the motto of see nothing, hear nothing, know nothing.

That's why Antonio hired her as Alessandra's nanny. She was living at the compound and very rarely was she allowed to leave. We were Nina's family since she is also a runaway from Mexico, alone and lost track of her parents and little brother. Antonio promised her he would search for her family, but I doubt it. People only leave this business in body bags.

" She's outside on the patio. With Senro Antonio."

My heart sank. I looked out to the patio. Rage built up inside me like only a mother's instinct can.