9. A secret entrance...

yibo has found a secret entrance into the west wing.

both their feet echo as he and zhan descend the long staircase. the yellow glow of the torch illuminates the dark interior, creating long shadows on the walls.

'every step closer into the west wing makes my pulse thump harder...' thinks yibo.

the air around him feels thick and dusty and he struggle to exhale normally. zhan regards him with an expression of concern.

"are you alright, yibo? do you want us to go back?" asked zhan.

his forehead is creased in worry as he is standing so close to yibo in the cramped space around, which makes yibo feel like he's the only one in the world.

yibo look down and blush as he try to answer zhan's query.

"no, it's just that the air is stale and stuffy... i just need to adjust to it and i'll be fine." said yibo.

"me too. i'm finding it difficult to breathe normally." said zhan.

the proximity of zhan next to yibo on the narrow staircase makes yibo feel warm all over. he suddenly feel the insurmountable urge to be close to zhan.

"i just wanted to say... thank you for coming here with me." said yibo.

"of course, i'll come here with you. do you think i'd leave you to go off on your own? this place might be dangerous and we don't know it." said zhan.

"still, i'm grateful." said yibo.

"come on, let's keep going." said zhan.

they both continue ahead.

peering into the darkness behind and around them. yibo feel very tensed.

'it's almost like i'm waiting for something bad to happen... something is just not right about this place...' thinks yibo.

the memory of his bad dreams begins to resurface in his mind. he think about ziyi and about the monster from his nightmares.

'my imagination are running wild...' thinks yibo.

he unconsciously hold zhan's arm for comfort and reassurance.

"you're beginning to make me feel like i should be worried that we're down here." said zhan.

"my mind is not at ease. i always feel that there is more to this place than meets the eye." said yibo.

"we've not even gotten there yet and you already sound frightened. maybe, i shouldn't have listened to you and opened this trap door entrance." said zhan.

"don't be ridiculous, zhan. ziyi's disappearance might be linked with this place!" said yibo.

"we don't know that for sure." said zhan.

"maybe, but she's not anywhere in the mansion. a recovering person who barely has enough strength can't just go missing like that." said yibo.

"probably..." said zhan.

"a piece of the puzzle must lie within these grounds..." said yibo.

"here, we've finally gotten to the bottom of the stairs." said zhan.

they both pause a little to catch their breathes.

"my legs are killing me..."said yibo.

zhan turns to him and holds yibo's hands.

"yibo, i understand this must be difficult for you with your friend's disappearance. but we're not going to get through this without a positive conviction. even with the shadows and secrets of wei mansion, we're going to need to be levelheaded to solve every mystery, okay?" said zhan.