The Story Begins

Fourth Prince Yin Zhen had lost so much in one day: He lost the chance to ever become Emperor and he lost the woman who he had harbored secret feelings for. Was it worth risking everything for her beauty and kind spirit? But, as he stood in line to congratulate the newlyweds who were sitting in their thrones he realized he could see how much (Y/N) loved his brother Heshu. He would have to learn to accept this...It was finally his turn and he cast all of his inner thoughts to the side...

"May you have many years of happiness," the Fourth Prince said.
"Thank you, Fourth Prince," Y/N said. Her eyes sparkled in happiness and it was a shame they didn't sparkle for Yin Zhen instead.
"Thank you, Brother," Heshu said. His facial expression was one of joy; internally he was waiting for the night to end so that he could finally rest. He had fought hard to become Emperor and the usefulness of his wife the Empress was coming to an end at last. It was time to close the door on this chapter...
The Fourth Prince took another look at his beautiful sister-in-law, smiled, then turned away. He could only pray that he would find a wonderful, loyal woman such as she.

---
One ordinary day, he decided to ask his servant, Eunuch Gui, about his sister-in-law.

"How is the Empress? I haven't heard any news for a while."

"Didn't you hear, my Lord? She passed away."

The Fourth Prince felt a deep sense of loss. They didn't know each other well, having only spoken a handful of times, but the news still had pierced his heart.
"How can this be?" he asked. His voice betrayed nothing.

"She and her family were put to death. They betrayed the Emperor," Gui said.

"When did this happen?" he asked, feeling sick to his stomach. That didn't sound like his sister-in-law...it sounded like she and her family had been framed.

"This happened a few nights ago," Gui quietly responded.

"Leave. I've heard enough."

He stormed off to his room to be alone. Once inside of his room, he sat on his bed and wept.

He wondered why in the world his brother would kill his own wife. He would have never hurt her. Now, he had to live with the memory of her loss.

"Why—" he managed before his voice broke in sadness.

---

The next life...

---

The Fourth Prince, Yin Zhen, and his sister-in-law reunited in the next life when she had run off with his wallet after finding it on the floor.
Before he could talk with her, he had to deal with the thief trying to chase after her. If it wasn't for him, he would have had his wallet back sooner.
"What happened?!" he asked the thief.
"Oh! Sir! She took my wallet!"
"Liar! That is my wallet! Now you better have a damn good reason for bothering the lady—"
"I came up with the idea to take the wallet from her. I was foolish! I see the error of my ways! Please, let me go! I'll never come near here again—"
"Scram."
With that command, the thief ran away.
"Is this your wallet, hero?" she asked him.

His heart rate began to quicken from hearing her voice. This was not like him at all. She seemed so familiar. He couldn't pinpoint why.
"Are you really willing to die for a wallet? Dummy," he said.
He was tickled pink when she became visibly frustrated in front of him. He took a good look at her and realized she was a palace maid; not only that, she was a beauty.

He would have plenty of opportunities to wind her up in the future and get to know her facial expressions.

"I think we will get along just fine," he smiled, turning away, "You can keep the wallet as a reminder of our first meeting."

---

One fateful day, Yin Zhen and the Crown Prince, Heshu, were sitting in the garden together. They were discussing who they should summon to make them both tea, when the lovely woman Yin Zhen saw the other day arrived. He stared at her. Seeing her dressed for work was just as, if not more, attractive when he saw her the first time.

"What are you doing here?" Heshu asked.
"Oh, I was just passing through! Please excuse me-"
"Wait," Heshu said, "Stay for a while. You might have come at the right time."

She turned and then didn't dare to look at Yin Zhen. She had no idea that she had encountered the Fourth Prince the other day. She had gushed over him calling him a hero. Her cheeks flushed in embarrassment. What did he think of her? And now she understood why he said that they would "get along just fine": He knew they would see each other again.
"Why don't you make yourself useful and serve me and the Fourth Prince some tea?" Heshu asked.
Eunuch Gui nodded in approval towards the young woman.
"As your Majesties wish," she replied.

She went over and started preparing and serving the tea.
"I've never seen this technique before," Heshu said.

(Y/N)'s stomach twisted into knots. How could he have forgotten...

"I have. This is Min style," Yin Zhen said, "I'm surprised a maid like you knows this."

MC had to carefully think of her response.
"I have read many books...Fourth Prince."

"A self-learner."
The Fourth Prince turned to his brother.
"She seems to be very clever, doesn't she?"
"Indeed. I was just about to say the same thing."

"Indeed," Eunuch Gui piped in, "She's a two-faced sweet talker."
It took all of MC's inner strength not to die of embarrassment.
"A 'two-faced sweet talker'. How delightful. You do know that's an insult, right?" Yin Zhen asked.
"Don't use words that you don't understand the meaning of! It's embarrassing!" The Crown Prince scolded.
Eunuch Gui got onto his knees.
"Forgive me your Majesties!"
"You may rise," The Fourth Prince said, "Just remain silent for the rest of the day, I cannot bear to hear another ignorant thing from you today."
Eunuch Gui obeyed the command and fell silent as he stood up from the ground.

"You do a good job serving the tea," The Crown Prince said, "In the future, I may ask you to serve me again."

Yin Zhen shifted his gaze from the young woman to his brother. There was no way he was letting him put a move on the beautiful girl before he could. He just had to determine when to make his own move. He turned back and watched her work. He was concerned that she was quite slender, but her overall presence and demeanor were breathtaking. He couldn't take his eyes off of her. All of his life, he had pictured himself marrying a beauty of high social ranking. The woman who stood before them made him question everything. How could he be so enchanted by such an uncouth woman and how did it happen so quickly?

"What's with that expression brother? Why are you looking at the girl like that?"

The young woman looked towards Yin Zhen and her eyes widened slightly. He quickly looked away from her.
"It's nothing. I just feel that you should be aware of someone who is this eloquent."
MC nervously smiled before responding, "The Fourth Prince must have misunderstood. I'm not like that."

"Don't worry about it. That's just how my brother is," Heshu said. Yin Zhen decided not to respond to that quip, but would calculate how and when his brother would pay for that remark.

After a good half an hour, the Crown Prince finally took his leave.

It was just the young woman and Yin Zhen now.