Chapter 5

(Rhysand's POV)

I was surprised to find only Mor in the next room. She pestered me with question after question as I was sprawled on the couch. 

"It just doesn't make sense. Her wedding?" Mor was baffled. Like myself, she had expected some other kind of horror to be gripping Feyre enough to scream down our bond. I nodded in reply. "How bad is the dress?" She peered into the other room as if she could see it. 

"Mor, enough. Please." My legs stretched out under the coffee table and I splayed my arms to either side of me. How could Feyre let them put her in that mockery of a dress. It was gaudy and loud. If she hadn't been yelling for me to save her, the dress would have done it itself. I picked at a loose thread on the cushion. "She wants to go back." 

Mor stood in front of the large mantel with her back to me. "What do you expect? The girl's confused. She woke up today thinking she would be married, probably with a sweaty Tamlin on top of her by now," Mor paused when she turned to see my glare. "What I'm saying, is that her world just turned upside down. Give her some time to process what the hell just happened." I didn't respond. Mor rounded the low table and sat beside me. "You could tell her about your-"

Before another word could come out, my hand clasped over Mor's mouth. Her eyes widened. "She doesn't have that mortal hearing anymore." I glanced toward Feyre's room and back to Mor. "Please learn to filter your thoughts." I removed my hand and swiped it on my pant leg. Streaks of red still graced my palm. Mor only smiled tauntingly as she fished her lipstick from her pocket. 

"Fine. But," Mor spoke with her mouth formed in an 'o', applying the red to her bottom lip "you'll either have to tell her at some point or," she slid the tint across the top lip, "you'll have to live in this grief forever." She smacked her lips together and gave me her widest smile. I knew she was right but, like Feyre, I needed time to process too. The decision to tell her about the bond would wait for another day, month, perhaps year. "We're still going to Rita's though, right?" 

Oh, Feyre and Mor would get along fine. That was certain. "You've got to be kidding." Mor looked up at me through batted lashes. I only glared at her in response. 

"Ugh fine. I'll take the boys." Mor stood, off to prep herself for a night out. "You two will have the whole house. Don't do anything I wouldn't do." Mor lilted in a sing-songy voice. She giggled her way down the hall. 

I didn't move from my place on the sofa for a while, letting myself soak in what I had done. But once I knew Mor had left for the night, I made my way to the hall outside Feyre's room. Her shuddered breaths came quickly, broken by sobs and whimpers. I wished I could give her peace. As fast as her breaths came, the crying slowed and eventually tapered to a soft snore. My hand hovered above the knob but I decided against it and went to my own room. 

Feyre tossed and turned. When she woke and remembered where she was in the middle of the night, I woke with her. I cradled her through the bond, nestled her back to sleep. Once, twice, three times. But there was no vomiting, no nightmares. So I woke and slept with her until dawn finally broke.

***

Feyre slept for a long time. I bounced my leg as I sat at the dining table, waiting. Nuala and Cerridwen prepped in the kitchen silently. Every rustle or knock had my head snapping in the direction of Feyre's room. I had been certain she would come to breakfast, but perhaps she changed her mind...The wraiths began setting the table with muffins, fruits, and cakes. I had wanted an assortment for Feyre to choose from. Perhaps, now, it was pointless. I wasn't exactly hungry either.