Chapter 43

(Rhysand's POV)

We slammed into the freezing mud outside my mother's house. I barely registered the impact before pushing myself onto my forearms, Feyre was already storming toward the house. "Feyre," I begged again. Please.

Cassian and Mor were at the doorway. Cassian darted across the snow to Feyre, then turned to me when he saw she was safe.

"I want you to take me somewhere far away. Right now." Feyre demanded, catching up to Mor.

No. She couldn't leave. I fought against my weakening body as Cassian placed a steadying hand on my back. "Feyre," I begged once more. If she left, I didn't know if she'd come back. We couldn't leave things like this. Even if she didn't want me, I couldn't bare the thought of her hating me.

Feyre whispered something as Mor glanced between us. Then, in a blink, they were gone, leaving only her footprints behind. Cassian lifted me up and dragged me into the house.

***

"WHERE. IS. SHE." I pounded a fist against the stone wall, dislodging a few loose stones that clattered to the floor of the front room.

"Rhys, she needs time." Mor said softly. "I've never seen her look like this -"

"No. She is my mate." I roared, the scattered stones rattling with the force of my anger.

Cass and Mor exchanged a glance, a silent understanding passing between them. "This is just your instincts, brother." Cassian said, rising from the couch and approaching me. I remained frozen, every sense heightened. He reached me and placed a hand on my shoulder. I flinched. "It'll pass. We can go fight it off if you need to." he offered, assessing my injuries and the wisdom of such a fight. He'd still do it, if I needed it.

Looking up at him, I could see the worry etched into each of his features. It was there in Mor's, too. The relentless humming in my veins began to subside. I shook my head, "No." Mor knew where Feyre was, which was something. As much as it killed me to have her away - for her to want to be away - I should give her the space. Mor said as much when she returned from wherever she left her. I had made her promise that Feyre would be safe.

It felt like the floor was giving out beneath me - no, it was my knees shaking, threatening to buckle. Cass slid his hand to my back, guiding me toward the sofa. Mor stood, pulling off a blanket that was draped over the back.

"You're still not well enough to search for her, anyway." Cass said, laying me carefully on the cushions.

I grunted, my energy draining fast. Fatigue swept over me, dark and swift. I felt, more than saw, Mor laying the blanket on top of me. I tried to bat her away, but my arms didn't move. I really was so tired. . .

***

(Morrigan's POV)

I couldn't shake the image of Feyre's scowl. She had been so angry. At Rhys. I eyed him behind me on the couch, his chest rising and falling steadily in a deep sleep. Cassian had shown me the wounds - likely from poisoned arrows, not just ash , or else they would have healed completely by now. He had been impressed with Feyre's work on the wings. Everything would heal just fine. At least physically.

When I landed back in the house, after bringing Feyre to the cabin, Rhys was inconsolable. Cassian was doing his best to keep him here, Rhys' instincts were in overdrive, screaming at him to protect, to be near her. He made me promise that she was somewhere safe. He also made me promise that I had not brought her to the Spring Court. That one confused me. It was so obvious that Feyre was never going back there, but Rhys wasn't so sure. He truly feared losing her, forever.