08. oversized cat

chapter eight,
oversized cat

        DAVINA HADN'T BEEN sure Percy pulled through with his whole sneaking on the quest plan until he slammed right into her, knocking her into an Apollo space capsule in the National Air and Space Museum

        DAVINA HADN'T BEEN sure Percy pulled through with his whole sneaking on the quest plan until he slammed right into her, knocking her into an Apollo space capsule in the National Air and Space Museum. Davina groaned and shoved him off of her, taking in his appearance. His dark hair was disheveled, like he'd flown there, and his eyes were wide in panic.

"What happened?" she immediately asked.

"You!" Zoë snarled, aiming her bow at Percy's chest. "How dare you show thy face here!"

"Percy! Thank goodness," Grover grinned. Zoë shot him a nasty look and he shook his head. "I mean. . . gosh. You're not supposed to be here!"

"Luke," Percy panted. "He's here."

Davina's face hardened while Thalia's softened. "Where?" both girls demanded at the same time, quickly glancing at each other before looking back at Percy.

Percy barely breathed when he told them about Dr. Thorn, Luke, and the General that everyone had been talking about and had been in her dream.

"The General is here?" Zoë's face paled. "That is impossible! You lie!"

"Why would I lie?" Percy looked annoyed. "Look, there's no time. Skeleton warriors–"

"What?" Thalia cut in. "How many?"

"12," Percy answered. "And that's not all. That guy, the General, he said he was sending something, a playmate, to distract you over here. A monster."

Davina, Thalia, and Grover all looked at each other.

"We were following Artemis's trail," Grover explained. "I was pretty sure it led here. Some powerful monster scent. . . She must've stopped here looking for the mystery monster. But we haven't found anything yet."

"Zoë," Bianca started carefully. "If it is the General–"

"It cannot be," Zoë snapped. "Percy must have seen an Iris Message or some other illusion."

"Illusions don't crack marble floors," Percy pointed out.

Zoë inhaled deeply. "If Percy is telling the truth about the skeleton warriors, we have no time to argue. They are the worst, the most horrible. . . we must leave now."

"Good idea," Percy nodded.

Zoë's eyes narrowed at Percy. "I was not including thee, boy. You are not part of this quest."

"Hey, I'm trying to save your lives!" Percy argued.

"You shouldn't have come, Percy," Thalia stated. "But you're here now. Come on. Let's get back to the van."