10. welcome to cloudcroft

chapter ten,
welcome to cloudcroft

        DAVINA'S BODY ACHED from how horrible she'd slept as the group walked through Cloudcroft, a ski town in the mountains of New Mexico

        DAVINA'S BODY ACHED from how horrible she'd slept as the group walked through Cloudcroft, a ski town in the mountains of New Mexico. Along with her achy body, she was also freezing by the time they reached the middle of the town.

"Great," Thalia looked around. Cloudcroft didn't have much in it. A school, ski cabins, tourist shops, cafes, and a grocery store. "No bus station. No taxis. No car rental. No way out."

"There's a coffee shop!" Grover pointed out gleefully.

        Davina wrinkled her nose. She hated coffee. It was either too sweet or too strong.

        "Yes," Zoë nodded. "Coffee is good."

        "And pastries," Grover was practically drooling. "And wax paper."

        "How about you three go get us some food," Thalia motioned to Davina, Zoë, and Grover. "P–"

        "No," Davina protested. "I hate coffee."

        Thalia sighed. "Fine. You can come with Percy, Bianca, and me to the grocery store. Maybe they can give us directions."

        The six of them agreed to meet back in front of the grocery store in 15 minutes.

        Cloudcroft was depressing, Davina learned. The grocery store clerk had looked like he was about to pass out from boredom when they walked in because the store was so empty. He told them that there wasn't much snow to actually go skiing, that it wasn't easy to get in or out of town without a car, and the only way they would be able to get out would be to call a taxi that would take several hundred dollars and an hour to get to them.

        He'd been so engaged in their conversation, like it was the first one he'd had all day, that Davina hadn't slipped anything into her bag and bought herself a bag of chips and a soda out of pity. Percy even bought himself a one-dollar rubber rat.

        "Wonderful," Thalia grumbled when they went outside. "I'm going to walk down the street, see if anybody in the other shops has a suggestion."

        "But the clerk said–" Percy started.

        "I know," Thalia cut him off. "I'm checking anyway."

        With that, Davina, Percy, and Bianca were left alone.

        "Nice rat," Bianca complimented Percy – who'd set his rubber rat on the porch railing – after a few minutes of silence.

        "It kind of looks like you," Davina commented, earning a small glare from the boy. She shrugged and opened her bag of chips. "So, Bianca, how do you like being a Hunter?"