Chapter 2: Found

At the police station.

The phone rang on my left side of the sofa, I didn't even realized that it was 9:40 a.m. I rose to my feet and rubbed my eyes. I slept at seven o'clock in the morning having finished writing a report, so I had gotten only about two hours of sleep. My eyelids kept drooping and decided to go outside and got some fresh air, I felt more awake. The sunny morning air swept away the last traces of my sleep.

Before getting into my car in the parking lot, I called Sergeant Gu Sangwook, a partner of mine. A voice still a half-asleep answered.
"I'm awake, I'm awake." The Seoul Investigator Department must have called him already. Sergeant Gu sat up on his bed, shaking his head to keep himself from slipping back into sleep. He closed his eyes while listening to the phone.

"There's another case that we're about to do. Where are you?" I said.

"Oh, I fell asleep."

"Then, hurry up and get on your way to the crime scene!"

"Wait-"

"Huh?" Just as I was about to hang up.

"Where was it again?"

"It's at Anyang. This time, it's in Daewol High School, near Baekryeonsa Street." Having confirmed the site, Sergeant Gu made a heavy sigh. The school had a long history of reports of bullying scandals, but they were never resolved because all the victims dropped the case, leaving it unsolved. I understood because he felt the same way too.

"Yeah, it's driving me crazy, too." I added.

"All right. Let me get ready. I'll be there."

I hung up and quickly got into the car. I put the key into the ignition and started the engine, then checked the time. It was already past ten in the morning. There have been a lot of cases of bullying that have happened at the school, but it was never a crime scene. As I walked through the hallway, I saw the body in the room and analyzed the body.

"Her head was up, the eyes were wide open, and so was the mouth, the head was dented as it had been heavily hit by a solid rock many times. She was still wearing a uniform, so she was still at school when she was killed," The forensic expert said and gave the analysis. "The case occurred around 9:30 in the morning, so there were a lot of witnesses at the crime scene. The janitor testified that she was sweeping the hallway near the classroom and saw a finger, then the teacher entered the room and saw the body." The forensic expert continued.

The body was as that of a 17 year old girl named Kim Sora, and she's a student here at Daewol High School. She was reported missing last month. The victim's head was broken and left a dent on the left side. There is also no sign of DNA left in the body or around it, so the culprit cleared it before leaving. However, they noticed that the body was beaten a lot after it was hit on the head. I guessed the culprit was mad at her and dismembered the body. They checked the CCTV footage when she went missing, but it was automatically erased due to 30 days of formatting, which makes the case harder. However when they saw the footage on the current time, it was deleted. She was missing for a month, and now she surprisingly appeared in front of many people. The culprit did not dispose of the body but displayed it.

Sergeant Gu finally appeared. "Oh my god..." Frustrated, Sergeant Gu rubbed his face. "What should we do now?" He asked.

"Let's question the victim's classmate for now."

In the questioning room, me and Mr. Park, the homeroom teacher, we sat in front of each other. "Did you make the report?" Minso asked.

"Yes, but I asked the class president, who was actually the one who called."

"What was the name of the student who called?"

"His name is Yoon Jaehoon, he's my student."

I wrote it down.

"Does Sora have any conflict with her classmates?"

Mr. Park was silent.

"You can say it here."

He hesitated. "Well, she had one."

"Can you say the name of this particular person?"

"Choi Yeonso." 

At Yeonso's questioning, she looked arrogantly and crossed her arms while leaning back on her seat.

"What is your relationship with Kim Sora?" I ask.

"Why am I here again?" She spoke abruptly.

"You and your friends are members of the Anyang gang, and am I right?"

"Yeah, do you have any problems with that?"

"Did you have any conflict with Kim Sora?"

"What is that going to do with us?"
I got irritated and got to the point.

"Did your friends murder Kim Sora?"

She was trembling. "H-huh?"

"Or did you?"

"What are you talking about? Do you have any evidence? "

I leaned back after he realized that he didn't have any evidence and was thinking irrationally. "Wait, wait. You don't have any evidence?" She laughed. "You were questioning a lot that's why I thought that you had any evidence, but I was surprised that you didn't." She laughed again.

Sergeant Gu behind the mirror watching. "You should stop now. Detective Minso."

I stood up and leaned on the table. "You know I really hate dealing with rude kids. But soon I will get to the bottom of this." I soon left, leaving Yeonso there, sitting with crossed legs and smiling.

"What was that? Are you out of your mind?" Sergeant Gu almost shouted.

"I have to do that. Did you see her reaction when I said about the murder? She was having anxiety, she was nervous. What do you think about it?" I explained.

"But you should've thought rationally about that."

"I know what I'm doing. And I know it's a bit crazy, but I have to do it otherwise-" The door slammed open, and a high school girl came in walking.

"Who's slamming the damn door?" Sergeant Gu was stunned by seeing a girl walking freely at a private office. 

"Who's Detective Jeon Minso here?" The girl asked. I looked at the girl, the girl was wearing a uniform, she was catching her breath because she ran from the school to the station. But then I realized that the girl was from Daewol high school.

It was Kwon Dami.