Chapter Four

Chapter Four

JC: Thanks for the invite to your *Nsync reunion last night. Were Lance and I kicked out of the band?

Lance: Thanks for the publicity nightmare.

Chris: Ashley slipped into the dance moves just fine. If you guys don't want to join the reunion, we've got options.

Lance: There isn't an *Nsync reunion.

Joey: I mean, I've got my doubts about the whole thing, but what else are we going to do with all that choreography?

Lance: Justin, can you please let Ashley get some work done and not provide social media with a million rumors.

JC: I thought rumors were good these days?

Mackenzie: You're accusing Justin of not working? Who are you right now?

***

Frustrated and embarrassed, Ashley leaned back against the soft leather seats in the car as she waited for Justin to come back out of the house after changing. She put her hands over her eyes, pressing against the next headache as she breathed in the scent of the car, remembering the night before. Despite the viral video, which they had expected, she had no regrets about any of it. It wasn't fair for Lance to try to take that away from them, it had been one of the best nights she'd had in months.

She tried to place it when Lance had become so angry and frustrated with her. Things before her tour had been going well, she knew that after things had fallen apart with Lance's first solo artist, he'd felt greater pressure where Ashley was concerned, but as far as she knew, her album and this last tour had been a success. She'd put everything into that tour, despite feeling miserable for the last half of it.

Lance had gotten married a couple months before the tour, thinking back, that was probably the last time she'd seen everyone. Even Britney had been at the wedding. Had the wedding been awkward for Ashley? She had gone out of her way to make sure it wasn't. She obviously didn't care for Lance like that anymore and she hadn't for years, but his friendship and his business guidance had been something she truly cared about.

Lately, he hadn't wanted to listen to any of her ideas. Was the business that bad and Lance trying to hold on to things by controlling Ashley? Was it really the label threatening to shelve her album? Was it because of Michael? Or Justin? Despite fan rumors flying around about her wearing Justin's shirt in the video, did Lance really think it meant anything? She and Justin had always had that kind of relationship; they all knew, no one more than Ashley that it didn't mean anything.

She heard the front door close and she took her hands away from her eyes, twisting them in the ends of her long hair. Justin opened the door and spoke as he climbed in, "Don't say you're sorry," he said before she could say anything. "I'm sorry for butting in and acting like I can save the day when obviously all my attempts the last couple of days have just made things worse."

Ashley watched him for a long moment as he started the car and adjusted the radio volume to low and adjusted the air, but he still didn't back out. His dark hair was still damp and slightly disheveled from the water she'd dumped on him. "I am still sorry though," she began. "I don't know what's really going on with Lance or why he's acting like he is. My life has been a train wreck lately."

Justin ignored her comment, "I'm going to be staying in Orlando a little longer. I found a songwriter I want to work with here on a couple projects."

"That's awesome," Ashley said genuinely. "You're a music genius."