Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

Lance: I got copies of the songs you worked on this week. I'm impressed.

Lance: You still haven't sent me the one you and Justin wrote?

Ashley: It's still getting some fine tuning.

Lance: Are you sending me a message with Stronger?

Ashley: I like songs with messages. If you're receiving it, then it's for you.

Lance: I'm sorry. I'm sorry if I hurt you years ago, and I'm sorry if I was pushing too much with the new album. I'm worried about the label.

Ashley: Apology accepted. I'm sorry I wasn't honest with you about what was going on with me.

Lance: Are you being honest with yourself?

***

Ashley sat out on the swing on the porch at Justin's house, enjoying the late afternoon breeze. The last two days had been spent almost exclusively indoors in the studio so the fresh air was a nice break. She had learned a lot being in the room and listening to these masters work. She realized that there really were no rules to songwriting and production, and each individual approached it differently. Timbaland and Pharrell had laid down the bottom of the track, then one of the other guys had come up with a guitar line that they layered on top, and so it had gone until they had a song.

She could see how Justin fed off this creative environment, working with others and creating this kind of magic. She loved watching him work with the others, he was quick with lyrics or ideas in a way that she wished she was brave enough to be. She was still tentative about all of it, she wasn't ready to throw her lyrics out there for everyone in the room to hear.

Since JC and Mackenzie had arrived that morning, JC and Logan had been working on a song over their guitars. She knew JC was always writing, he'd been that way all the time she'd known him. Being near JC had always been a peaceful place to be when she'd toured with them.

The front door opened and Mackenzie appeared, "I was wondering where you had disappeared to." She said as she sat on the swing. "I hear there are plans for people to go out tonight, what are your plans?"

Ashley shrugged, "Justin told me to meet him out here and to bring a jacket. I'm not sure what's on the schedule. Do you have any clues?"

Mackenzie smiled, "I think that's a private invite you've been given. I only heard about people going out to the clubs in Memphis."

"I don't know," Ashley said, trying to sound indifferent, "I haven't had much time to talk to Justin since I got here."

Mackenzie eyed her significantly, "Is that something you're missing?"

Ashley looked out over the trees, the sun was dipping lower and promising a magical sunset, "yeah, well, not like anything specific. It's just that Justin and I talked a lot over the last week, but there's a lot more people crammed into that studio space, so it's not like we've had a chance to talk about plans or anything."

Mackenzie pushed against the floorboards again, sending the swing into a creaking motion, "It is nice to get a break from the studio."

"Absolutely." Ashley agreed, "But it has been so fun to watch all of them work. It's like watching magic unfold."

"Magic, huh?" Mackenzie laughed. "I guess I can see it. Justin's a wizard with those lyrics."

"Isn't he!?" Ashley almost gushed, and then seeing Mackenzie's twinkling eyes, tried to tone down her response. "I mean, I've been pretty impressed by how effortless he makes it look."