Mahalaya.

Today is Mahalaya, the great coming. We celebrate the homecoming of Goddess with excellence. First lets know what is mahalaya and what marks the significance of this day.

Mahalaya is the end of Pitripaksha, which is end of father's power reign, and the great starting of Devipaksha, the starting of Goddess Power reign.

Today, mainly parents who have lost their father, go to the Ganga ghat to show their respect, honour and to provide them water.
They bath in the holy water of Ganga. This offering of honour to the forefathers is known as Tarpan.

Chandi Path

Chandi Path is the reading of the Mahishasur Mardini scripture, where the story of how and why Maa Durga was made by the trinity of Shiva, Vishnu and Brahma to defeat the evil Buffalo Demon (Mahishasur) who conquered the Devlok and started torturing the Heaven.

The Diet.

We pure Bengalis do not eat rice and non veg this day. We just eat maida the whole day.

Mahalaya

Mahalaya is heard on the tithi of amabasya, at dot 4:00 am in the morning. The Script is 1 hr 29 minutes long. Earlier, Birendra Krishna Bhadra, the great voice of Mahalaya, read the Mahishasur Mardini live at radio. Then it was recorded, because they knew no one else could read it more perfectly.

The Mardini consists of the story and many songs. My most favourite is given in the link below. Just listen once.