Runaway and Circus Boy | Dick & Jason

UPDATE:
this is now it's own series in a separate book under the same title, Runaway and Circus Boy

This is not a ship, however kid Jason does have a very brief crush on Dick (its only mentioned once).

Info/Warnings:

A retelling of Jason Todd's story through my eyes, because I have ideas that I need to share, or I'll literally explode

A retelling of Jason Todd's story through my eyes, because I have ideas that I need to share, or I'll literally explode. A lot of stuff is bits and pieces of different canons, just all thrown together into a new shape.

Author is not Hispanic or Romani, but I tried my best to properly portray these characters as such. If something is offense, let me know and I will fix it as soon as I can.

Also, there is some Spanish and Romani in this, though I do not speak either language. However, I looked at multiple different sources (not google translate) to get the translations as accurate as possible. If something is incorrect, please correct me and I'll fix it.

Translations:
(Spanish) el chico del circo - the circus boy
(Romani) dej - mom, dik - look, măcăleandru - robin

———

He's four years old when his stepmother succumbs to some illness, one he's too young to comprehend. His dad ignores him for a week, too busy processing his wife's death to care for his only child, too deep into grief to notice when his son sneaks out one night to run away to the circus that's in town: Haly's Circus.

It doesn't take much for the boy to get in, security almost nonexistent, and he walks around the circus grounds, sneaking from cages to trailers to tents. He walks by one trailer right as the door opens, and a tall man with light skin, brown hair, and brown eyes sees him before he can run. Behind the man is a small boy, only a few years older than himself, in a red unitard; his skin is a subtle light brown, a shade or two lighter than Jason's, and he has black hair and blue eyes.

The police are called, and Jason is taken back home in a cop car, looking back out the window at one of the circus posters: The Flying Grayson's, it reads, with the picture of the tall man and the child and a woman, who has the same black hair, blue eyes combo as the boy, though her skin a few shades darker than his.

———

He's six when his father is killed by the criminal Two-Face and he's told he'll be put into foster care, but he's heard the stories of abuse and neglect, especially when it comes to children of color like him, so he runs.

He runs from street to street, trying to find a place to hide or somebody who can hide him. Maybe the nice man at the corner store? He's always been friendly to Jason, he's even given him free candy before! So, the young boy makes his way to the corner store a couple streets down from his house, runs as fast as he can, as far as his little legs will take him, he runs, and he runs-