chapter 3

CHAPTER 3: STARK INDUSTRIES

Peter's POV

Welcome to Stark Industries! The phrase reverberated in my mind as I contemplated the myriad of opportunities and experiences that awaited me in this new job.

"Mr. Parker? Mr. Parker?! PETER!"

Returning abruptly from my thoughts, "Y-yes, sorry, I'm listening." I stuttered.

"Alright, this will be your workspace. Your main responsibilities include locating spare materials and ensuring the team has what it needs. This could be tools, stationery or coffee. You're also in charge of ordering new tools as they get used up."

My brow furrowed. Fetching coffee and tools? That's not quite what I had in mind. . . . I suppose it's a start.

Exhaling a resigned sigh, I smiled. Time to hustle and climb that ladder!

***

The following hours were consumed with tool deliveries, managing other people's emails, and requesting things for the more seasoned interns and employees at SI.

My stomach was protesting. My gaze dropped downwards, then upwards as I resumed my work on the computer screen. Dark circles had formed under my eyes from lack of sleep, and I realized I hadn't eaten all day. It was clear that I needed both water and sustenance.

I shut my laptop, stood up and moved towards the elevator I had come in from. It made sense I needed my access card, so I swiped it through the designated slot and waited patiently for my lift.

Ding,

The liftgate gilded apart, and I stepped aside as two individuals came out, one flashing a grin and the other merely observing me before they moved on, continuing their discussion. I entered the lift and pressed the button for the ground floor. I was going to grab a light bite. Nothing more. I'd be back at Stark Towers in a giffy.

No sooner had I pressed the button for my desired floor, a voice resounded throughout the lift.

"Good evening Sir. It appears you are departing Stark Industries. I recommend not to leave at this late hour as you appear to be severely dehydrated and show signs of high blood pressure. It is evident you haven't had any food." The voice's mechanical tone was quite distinctive.

"What the crap!" I shouted.

"Checking health status. . . . It seems that your body has numerous bruises, should I notify Mr. Stark for you?"

Suddenly, I was wide awake. "No! I uh... I mean no, I appreciate it but no thanks."

Then the elevator buttons began to switch levels, beginning from the ground level, going up to the 19th, 30th, 35th, 36th and it kept on going until it hit... "FLOOR 80!"

"Where are you taking me?!"

"We are heading to the snack floor, sir. Your health readings are low, indicating hunger. I strongly suggest that I update Mr.Stark on this issue."

"I don't need to visit the snack floor, and you don't need to tell Mr. Stark anything, because he doesn't need to be informed of anything!!" Suddenly, my tone changed. No tripping over words. I wasn't a frightened boy seeking assistance. My tone had to be assertive. That's how I wanted to be perceived, that's how I had to be perceived.

"I won't repeat myself, who are you !" I demanded, my voice barely louder.

"I am Friday sir, an AI created by Mr.Stark."

"Ah..."

Ding

"We have reached our destination sir."