Keeping Secrets

After the service, Grace introduced Anna to her family and asked if she could go to the city and get lunch with Anna. Because of her sixteen years of being a "good girl", they let her go. Grace and Anna loaded up in Graces pick-up and began the fifteen minute drive to the city. The whole way Grace couldn't stop staring back at Anna who stared absentmindedly out the passenger window. Her eyes seemed to reflect the blue June sky and all of its glory. She wondered what those eyes looked like at night.
When they arrived at the diner, Grace helped Anna out of the truck and led her into her favorite booth. As they sat down, Grace inched closer as they began talking about the past. She took each breath slow and deep; Anna smelt of lavender, and it was calming. As they got their orders, two burgers, two fries, and two sprites, they began to pick off what they didn't like. As if by luck, they peeled away the onions, lettuce, scraped off the mustard, and began to add Miracle Whip. Grace smiled and commented on how similar they were. Anna laughed and agreed. After they finished, Grace took a leap of faith and asked if Anna wanted to shake a shake with the money she had left. Anna nodded, and Grace quickly called for a strawberry shake.
"Oops. Sorry, do you like strawberry?"
"Strawberry is my favorite!" Anna smiled.
"Me too!"
"I can tell, we are going to be great friends."
I wish we could be more...
Grace thought, but instead she replied, "I think so too."
After sharing the shake and bumping heads a few times, they finally got into the truck and started home. Grace, who didn't want the moment to end, asked politely,
"So, why did you move to Burkwood?"
"It's a long story."
Grace reached over and turned off the radio, "We have the time." She ensured.
"What is your stand point on Homosexuality?"
"Honestly, I think it is fine. We are all God's children, made in His image, so I find nothing wrong with it."
"Okay. Well, I kinda liked this girl. We never did anything. I'm not sure she knew I liked her. Anyways, I began to write about her, and my mom found some of my writings and said that we had to move because what I was feeling was wrong. She heard Burkwood was a nice, Christian, small town and she thought it would be perfect for a confused teen."
"That is kind of stupid." Grace agreed.
"What about you? Any love stories gone wrong? Any love stories at all?"
"Not any that I'd want to tell."
"Come on. I told you. Now you tell me."
"Okay. Here is the honest truth. I've never really loved anyone, until recently. I'm not sure this person knows that I like them, but it would be devastating to my family if they knew."
"Oo, is it a rebel boy?" She teased.
"Not at all." Grace said quickly, trying to mask her emotions.
"A girl?"
"What? Um.. Nah.. I." Grace stuttered.
"Stop. Don't worry; your secret is safe with me." Anna assured her as they entered Burkwood.
"Where do you live again?" Grace asked shyly.
"Cedar Dr. Right outside of town."
"Cool, I live on Cedar."
"So, that means I'll be seeing a lot more of you." Anna smiled before pointing to her house. It was right across from Grace's.
"Hey, we are right across from each other." Grace remarked.
"I guess we are." Anna smiled.
Grace parked over at her house and as Anna was halfway home, Grace shouted,
"You and your family are invited to dinner tonight!"
"I'll be there." Anna promised as she ran the rest of the way home.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That night at dinner, Mr. And Mrs. Holland were quiet and polite. They refused to be honest about why they moved. Anna sat right next to Grace and the girls giggled over small jokes. Noah asked of Anna had any little sisters, and Anna replied no, which made Noah sad. Isaiah ate his dinner quickly and was excused just the same. Joseph stayed around and played with Andrew in the family room and the Adults went to the front yard to converse. Grace took this opportunity to show Anna her room.
It was a small room, painted purple with a decorative black cross hanging about her bed. She had picture of friends and family framed up, and a collage of quotes and inspirations muddled on her ceiling. Anna admired Grace's sense of style and design.
Though on the outside she was smiling, on the inside she was screaming. This was probably the best feeling she has ever had. She felt warm, and happy. Anna turned on the radio and the girls laughed and danced until Grace's mom came in and told Anna it was time to go. She sighed, but left just the same.
That night after saying her prayers, Grace dreamed of Anna, and for the first time in her life, she felt the emptiness inside her begin to fill. For the first time, she felt...

Warm

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------