Chapter 37: A bittersweet taste

Kitty was in her room-like tent resting for a moment after having trained that night with her group, she was exhausted....

The truth was that they hadn't eaten in days, due to the few supplies they had and had run out, besides, the stupid guards hadn't deigned to deliver the food. They haven't been so lucky with the hunt either, there wasn't much to go around, they found a bug or two...

And to say how many days had passed since she had left the punishment cells, she had no idea...

It is worth mentioning that she hadn't seen the guard who had helped her, for what he had explained, every so often they rotated the routes or areas that had to guard or protect towers, cell, yard, etc... So they had no news from outside, although he was waiting for some news to arrive.

- Uh... Kitty? May I come in? - asked Alice.

- You know you can - answered Kitty with a tired yet soft voice, she didn't want to seem that she didn't want a visit because of her tiredness.

- Thank you - she said coming in and sat down next to her - Are you all right? Am I bothering you? - asked when she saw her face.

The dark female cat shook her head - No, I'm just exhausted, the fact that we eat less and do physical effort is not a good combination.

- Yes, you're right, it's the same for me - she agreed, noticing her exhaustion - Actually, we're all like that.

- And I told you to stop training until we had strength again, but you refused - said Kitty.

- You said yourself that we shouldn't waste time, even though the conditions aren't optimal, it will be a great benefit for us as a group.

- I will say no more - she said resignedly adding a yawn.

Alice laughed lightly - I'm sorry to have disturbed - she said looking at the floor.

- You don't bother, I'm here to listen to you, just because I'm tired as much as you are doesn't mean I won't do it - she encouraged her.

- That's exactly what I want, that you listen to me - she said a little sad, worrying Kitty.

- Tell me what's going on, you know you can lean on me.

- It's just that...well it's been a few days since we sent news...My sister must already know.... - Alice said, it was clear that she was still affected by the problem - Do you think she hates me? Did I do the right thing telling her that I'm here? - she asked - I really feel bad to worry her like that... - she said looking at the floor.

- You're crazy, how can she hate you for this? - said Kitty - Remember it's not your fault.

- I just can't help it! My brother always reproached me for always getting into trouble to attract attention and distress unnecessarily - she said - And I think he was right.

The dark female cat shook her head - You're wrong, I think he was saying that because of how angry he was at that moment, apparently you liked to make mischief - she supposed, Alice smiled slightly giving her reason - And I insist that it was a good decision to tell her, it's inevitable that she gets upset, but I think it's more unfair that she thought you were safe and sound in the group - Can you imagine if she went back and didn't find you there? She would have a bad surprise and if so, where would she have started looking for you?

Alice was silent with grief - But I fell here, I know you told me it's not my fault, I really feel terrible!

- What did you know that you'd find yourself in a rotten kingdom? Tell me, you said yourself that you were in the wrong place at the wrong time.