Chapter Five

Mara silently crept into Kara's room. The sun was only starting to rise as the older blonde slept soundly. Mara gently sat on the edge of the bed, carefully nudging Kara with her free hand. "Kara...wake up" Mara giggled as the blonde woman groaned at her. "What time is it?" Kara asked her, her eyes closed. "It's six...I think?" Mara shrugged as Kara turned to face her.

"Why are you..." Kara was cut off by Mara's big smile as she held a plate of pancakes. "Happy Birthday!" Mara beamed at her. Kara smiled softy at Mara, sitting up on her bed. "Oh, sweetie you didn't have to do this" Kara cooed at Mara as she gracefully accepted the pancakes. "But it's your birthday! I wanted to do something for you, I know you've been a little down the past week and I wanted to cheer you up a bit" Mara explained making Kara looked at her with a bashful smile.

"Thank you Mara...but?" Kara could see another reason. Mara pretended to be confused, "There's no but" She said only for Kara to shake her head. Kara pointed at her forehead, "Crinkle". Mara fell back dramatically with a groan. "Imma get botox for that I swear" She sighed before moving up to sit next to Kara. "I also wanted to surprise you to say thank you...for taking me in. I know it's hard seeing as I'm wanted by CADMUS and I want you to know I appreciate you" Mara let out, resting her head on Kara's shoulder and her arms wrapped around a random pillow.

Kara wrapped an arm around Mara, giving her arm a small squeeze. "Sweetie, you don't need to thank me. I'm just happy you feel safe with me" Kara assured her, kissing her temple. Mara only smiled, "Now, try the pancakes!" She urged her, waiting for Kara's opinion. Kara happily took a bite out of the pancakes, her face lighting up quickly.

"Mara! These are amazing!" Kara exclaimed, stuffing her face with more as Mara felt a sense of accomplishment, her eyes turning a soft pink. "Happy Birthday Kara" Mara whispered.

~~~

M'gann smiled as Mara walked into the bar, "Hi kid" She smiled at her. "You're M'gann... J'onn's friend right?" Mara asked, her eyes glowing bright orange. M'gann nodded, "Aren't you a little young to be here?" M'gann pursed her lips playfully. "Kara, Alex's sister, said she'd meet me here" Mara told her as she looked around to see all the species in awe.

"This place is amazing...I wish I brought my sketchpad" Mara pouted, making M'gann laugh. "Well, seeing as I can't serve you... wanna earn a bit of cash?" M'gann offered her. Mara's head is titled as her eyes burn dark orange. "Doing what?" She questioned her, squinting her eyes. M'gann smiled at her, "Picking up all the trash and helping me throw it out". Mara thought for a moment, "How much?" Mara asked her, folding her arms above her chest.

"20"

"30"

"25"

"Deal" Mara beamed, holding out her hand to M'gann. The white martian rolled her eyes at her, shaking her hand. "You know I'm telepathic" M'gann stated as Mara followed her to the back of the bar.

"I know" Mara shrugged with an innocent smile before taking a pair of gloves and a garbage bag. M'gann only shook her head as Mara walked around, picking up trash and talking with some of the aliens. M'gann noticed Mon-El watching her from behind the bar, giving some aliens looks like they had done something to him.

"You okay?" She asked him, making the Daxamite jump. "What? Yeah just...making sure Mara's okay" He told her, sipping his club soda. "You care about her, don't you" M'gann mused as they watched the young girl laugh with a woman, her laugh making the place lively as she couldn't control it.

"She was abandoned. M'gann you should see how smart she is...I just don't understand, who would disown a child of such intellectual..." M'gann cut Mon-El off. "She wasn't disowned...she's Kara's daughter Mon-El" She told him in a hushed whisper, in case Mara could hear them. Mon-El almost choked on his drink.