Sacrifices of the Heroes

Wukong, despite how oblivious he can be, noticed that MK was less and less present during their training. The boy seemed to be holding back more and more being somewhere else with his mind. He also seemed to always hurry right after them, making excuses about work or meeting with Mei at the last minute.

Monkey King so decided; they needed to talk.

"We're not gonna train today." Wukong said when the boy placed his bag on the bench. He looked at his mentor surprised and confused.

"Huh? Why?" MK looked slightly nervous.

"We need to talk." Wukong crossed his arms over his chest.

MK sighed and they both went to the top of the mountain to sit down at the edge and have a little heart to heart.

It was hard to start and so at first they sat there in silence, but when MK started the avenge of words fell from his lips. And it fell heavily upon Wukong.

"It's not your fault." he said with a worried look.

"I killed him!" the boy almost cried out those words, his hands started to shake "I did this!" tears fell from his eyes.

"MK, listen..." Wukong sighed and wrapped his tail around his arm "Sometimes... Sometimes you just can't save everybody..." he looked to the sun half way down behind the horizon "Sometimes heroes need to make choices they don't want to... whether it be to destroy the threat, no matter in what form, or to sacrifice what they hold deer for the greater good." he again looked at his successor, the same pain reflected in their eyes.

"But... What if there was another way?" MK looked down, fidgeting with his fingers "What if I just took an easy way out... Maybe I could have saved him too. I just wasn't good enough..." he clenched his fists.

"Don't say that! You did what was needed." Wukong grabbed him by the shoulders "There was no other way." he smiled sadly "It hurts me too, he used to be my friend after all... but it was too late for him. We can't change the past MK." he continued and his tail flicked behind him "But we can learn and grow from it." he concluded with a warm look at his successor.

"But-" MK started but was cut short.

"No MK. You did good, end of story." Wukong pressed, and his successor sniffed and cried, hugging him tight, letting all that pain out into his mentor's shoulder.

This wasn't the end of MK's guilt and self-consciousness but it was a start of the journey, and Wukong now knew about his successor problem, and sooner the Dyiu freezes over that he let's the boy spiral down the path of self hate and isolation he went on.

◃≪⟨★ ✰☼ ✰★⟩≫▹

FICTOBER 2023 DAY 31! 

Prompt for today: "It's not your fault."

FH:

I wrote it listening to my friend singing cartoon songs :D 

IT'S LAST DAY OF FICTOBER MY SWEET MONKEYS! WE DID IT! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA I AM SO HAPPY AND EXOSTED AT THE SAME TIME DSIHFSEFSJ!

So we're finishing this fictober with 21,905 words! yay! 

See ya!

=)