Ch 1

Luz didn't recognize the woman in her reflection—she no longer appeared as a servant, more like a lady of royalty

Luz didn't recognize the woman in her reflection—she no longer appeared as a servant, more like a lady of royalty. The simple servant uniform that has adorned her body for most of her life now lay across the ground, elegant royal robes replacing them.

"You look beautiful, my lady." said the servant

Goosebumps formed along her skin at the title—her title.

"Thank you," Luz said, eyes never leaving her reflection in the mirror as the female servant continued to help her with her wardrobe and performing any finishing touches that needed to be done.

Another servant suddenly approached her side; a smile spread on her lips as she delicately ran her hands across the expensive fabric of her robes. "Her Majesty will surely be satisfied with you."

Luz's chest tightened at her words.

"I think she's ready, don't you think?" The same female servant who complimented Luz asked the other one, getting a nod from them in return. "Would you like us to escort you to Her Majesty's chambers, my lady?"

Luz shook her head, "That will not be necessary. I know where Her Majesty's chambers are located. Thank you again, girls, for your help."

The two girls bowed their heads at Luz in reply, keeping them down as she walked past them and made her way out of her chambers.

While walking down the narrow halls of the palace, hands clasped over each other and eyes trained forward; Luz couldn't ignore the stares she was receiving from other passing servants and night guards, their sympathetic expressions burning into the center of her mind. They knew exactly what Luz, a servant girl dressed as royalty, was doing in the palace in the dead of night.

Luz remembered what the Queen had said to her a few hours ago...

"Luz, you're the one that's going to bear the King's heir"—the one the Queen chose herself. Everybody in the palace has heard of you.

"My lady," the other servants and guards would bow to Luz as she passed them.   Even though their heads were down, she could still feel their eyes trained on her, silently wondering how she, a mere nobody servant, rose up in the ranks to become a royal.

Some people pitied her, knowing she was nothing but a vessel to the court, the King, and the Queen.

Some were jealous of her, wanting to be in her position, believing that if she impressed the King enough, she could become one of her first concubines. And if she's lucky enough, maybe even become her second consort.