Chapter 16

The sound of a gunshot has them both halting their movements. V lets out a ragged breath, his brain threatening to explode out of his head as he has already over-exaggerated his body's ability. Jung is right behind, desperately catching his breath, when the gunshot forces them to take a break. V waits for the ear-piercing, strained scream of someone who has just lost a close one, but it never comes. He frowns. If that wasn't Jeon causing Jimin even more hell, then where did the gunshot come from? Surely, the man running ahead earlier can't already have fulfilled his mission?

Not wanting to wait any longer to figure it out, V rushes Jung along with him. The police man sighing in disappointment, wondering why he thought that a suspended officer didn't need as much exercise as an active one. They round another corner, guns still at the ready, when light finally shines towards them. Their bodies creating shadows, moving closer to a rather dramatic scene unfolding in front of them.

There are three human beings on the floor in the middle of the room. V is quick to assess the situation and first and foremost he looks for the man he hopes to see still breathing. A lump in his stomach shrinks considerably when he spots said man on the floor, arms thrown over his head in a desperate attempt to protect himself. The even smaller, more fragile body of a woman behind him, has ended up in the same situation and V hold his breath, waiting for her body to move up and down in nature's synchronization.

The third, more disturbing image is on the floor in front of the two. His body currently not moving at all and V starts to wonder if the man on the second floor, did his job a little too well. It's not before the body suddenly gasps for air that V finds himself reacting to the whole scenario. He quickly turns towards Jung whose face has already contoured in several different emotions. As if on cue though, the man quickly grabs the walkie-talkie situated in the belt on his hip. He turns, walking away from V who can faintly hear him call for back-up.

V breathes, his moment finally here and before making himself visible to the others in the room, he takes two seconds closing his eyes, breathing in and out two times before walking towards his death.

The sudden gasp behind Jimin causes him to swiftly turn around. There is a small pool of blood that has formed underneath Jeons left shoulder. Said man takes his right hand and drags it across his face, wiping off sweat. Then he grins, before a hollow, echoing laugh creates an unsettling feeling across the room. He suddenly peaks through his fingers, staring straight at Jimin with a piercing gaze, causing the young man to freeze in place.

Just as quickly, Jeon suddenly sits back up, completely ignoring the gunshot wound embedded in his left shoulder. He laughs menacingly, grabbing the gun before firing 3 very loud shots in the general direction of the first one. He then growls, causing a menacing roar to echo throughout the room and Jimin soon find himself in the same position as previously, with his hands covering his head.

"You motherfucker!" Jeon swears, pain causing him to react more than usual. "Show YOURSELF!!" he growls, staring into nothingness. He expects a shadow from the balcony on the 2nd floor to suddenly stand up, but when a different silhouette moves into the light from his right side, Jeon can't help but laugh. He turns towards Jimin, the man is currently trying to make himself as small as possible while still trying to protect the tiny body behind him. "You little..." Jeon shakes his head disapprovingly, clearly disappointed. "I should have known," he acknowledges.

Jeon turns to the newly arrived man, giving off a hateful glare while still smiling menacingly. There's a sense of comedy over this whole scenario now, that to him, is almost ridiculous. How desperate this man must be? How far he must be willing to go. How much he is willing to sacrifice. Jeon is almost impressed.

"How's the head," Jeon mocks, grinning when the steady trickle of blood mixed with sweat, has stained V's otherwise pretty face. The man's breath is elevated, his shoulders moving together with the rest of his body. His hand shakingly aiming the gun in front of him as he moves sideways, closer to Jimin while never letting Jeon out of his sight. V grabs a quick glance at the young man on the floor, reassuring himself that Jimin is in fact alive and still breathing.