Chapter 6

Leaves littered the ground with fall in full swing, Halloween looming around the corner. The gang had all decided on their costumes, the boys planning on coordinating Top Gun jumpsuits and sunglasses. Rosé and Jisoo had a creepy costume of the twins from The Shining. Jennie and Lisa almost always chose different outfits from the rest, sometimes picking from the same movie or show, and other times simply matching between just the two of them.

This year was different, though. For the first time, Jen and Lisa opted not to coordinate costumes, instead deciding to pick their own ensembles and leave it as a surprise. They were quite popular and had consequently scored invites for everyone to several parties on Halloween weekend.

A couple weeks prior, the crew piled into Kai's car and visited several stores, collecting materials for their costumes. The boys bought army green jumpsuits while the girls secretly tried on and purchased outfits from the most popular costume shop, Spirit Halloween. After obtaining their clothing, they stopped at smaller stores for accessories.

Lisa struggled with this part; she had to buy makeup, real makeup. Sure, she owned mascara and lip gloss, but even those she rarely wore and were reserved for special occasions. Now, she needed eyeliner, eyeshadow, and lipstick to complete her look, all while hiding the products from Jennie, who was lurking in the same aisle, clearly needing some cosmetics too. The girls smiled deviously at each other, trying to hide their selections while simultaneously attempting to sneak peeks at the other's items.

Kai and V lingered in the sunglasses section, trying on aviators and laughing as they picked their favorites. Rosé and Jisoo were discussing the wigs they were going to buy. After a long selection process, the girls headed to separate checkout lanes, stealing flirty glances at each other as they purchased their makeup, successfully hiding it in their plastic bags as they reunited. They joined the boys and headed out to the plaza, everyone branching out in different directions towards various stores for their final stop before heading back to campus.

The first Halloween party was on Friday night, and everyone shuffled into their rooms to get ready. Though the guys typically played Xbox on Fridays, this was an exception, and they were fine with pushing their games back a week in order to properly celebrate their favorite holiday.

Jennie felt oddly lonely as she donned her costume, smoothing out her skirt and searching for her headband. She'd never gotten ready without Lisa, they always got dressed together and did each other's hair and makeup for events. It felt strange prepping without her, but her stomach fluttered with excitement at the thought of surprising Lisa. They'd never kept secrets from each other, and she couldn't wait for Lisa to see her costume. If she was being honest, she was wearing this costume for Lisa.

As soon as she saw the outfit at the store, she knew it was the one. She wouldn't even know about this character if it weren't for Lisa, and it held a special spot in her memory. Plus, the skimpy leotard hugged her body in all the right places. She didn't want Lisa's eyes on anyone else, and she was banking on this costume securing her attention.

She swiped on mascara, then added glittery light blue eyeshadow, her brown eyes popping against the shimmer. She nervously painted on her red lipstick, never having worn a color this bold before. She had to admit, she looked pretty badass as she observed herself in the mirror. Jennie grabbed her combat boots, pulling them on, her outfit finalized. She adjusted her arm cuffs, analyzing herself one last time in the mirror before grabbing her ID and room key. She locked her door, shoving the items into her boot as she walked down the hall to find the others.

Jisoo was waiting in the lounge area, leaning on the couch as she fiddled with the fake blood on her dress. Kai sat on the couch beside her, talking about the costumes he'd seen people wearing as they left the dorms. Jennie frowned. Were they the only two that were ready?