5. Confusion

" Yielding to the depths of hell and brush it with my scorched fingers was the only salvation left to me. I was an empty and putrid vessel that would eventually succumb to its desires."

----------

"To yield to the hells and brush them with my burnt fingers was the only salvation left to me. I was an empty and putrid body that would end up yielding to its desires."

-------

"Tell me, Jonathan," said the therapist, a special Type B seated in the armchair, "share with me your concerns, and we may uncover the possible motive; let's see if the error stems from some mental block."

Jonathan was assigned an adult therapist of advanced age, with a wrinkled face and a white beard, displaying a bald crown. Jonathan understood that, given the gravity of the situation, they hadn't assigned him just any Type B instructor. They needed someone with experience in that field to quickly discover, within at least a week, what the true problem was.

"I still think it could be that I haven't sufficiently overcome the trauma of Marck," he said. Clearly, he knew that the therapist assigned to him had read through his entire history. Lying to him would be quite foolish.

"Normally, the results tend to show that the loss of a Companion isn't usually compatible with your vital energy's capacity to function," the man continued. "It's true that if you were to start having problems due to severe malnutrition and conditions directly affecting your motor and psychic abilities, then we could be talking about a real problem," he continued. "Everyone at yesterday's ceremony was able to connect even with the pain and doubts arising from their own thoughts due to their experiences in battle, Jonathan. So tell me," he looked at him intently, "what has been on your mind these last few days? Let's start slowly."

"I have no idea at this point," he replied. "Is it possible for there to be a case where a person couldn't successfully connect due to something?" Jonathan wanted to know.

"If we speak statistically, nothing is impossible," the man replied candidly. "Personally, we are unaware of its existence at the Department of Bonding. It must be recognized that your problem is particular. We have so far digressed on a general topic that could affect you, but doesn't affect you because that might not be your problem. Obviously, what I'm talking about are just possibilities. We need empirical data with the analyses we're conducting to truly establish your diagnosis."

Jonathan felt his heart begin to beat faster. He could perceive the worried expression on the face of the man instructing him. The warm flame of the room danced delicately among the burning woods, casting dancing shadows around him.

"I've been looking into your case, as I needed to gather and study everything related to you. Obviously, it has to do with your experience in the administrative data and the merely punctual records collected in the reports of your life within the Military Academy," he paused, extending an arm towards the table next to the leather armchair where he rested. He picked up the folder and opened it calmly, flipping through a few pages. "The entire ceremony was recorded on video, as you might expect. We've been looking into your case quickly, as what interests you is being able to join your Companion by solving the problem you're facing. Solve it and forget about all this, of course," he continued as he flipped through some pages. "We have here that there was a rejection of the synapsis of your Companion at the moment of the first phase of the bond, without even developing the transfer of vital energies. Therefore, we can consider that it wasn't even possible to share a little of your life if one considers that you made a bond."

Then, the man closed the folder, raising a bit of dust in the process. He looked at Jonathan thoughtfully, maintaining that shade of concern in his eyes. Despite that, the man remained professional, and Jonathan noticed how his Type B special skills influenced his mind, creating a fictional space within the office. This opaque environment was designed to provide Jonathan with a relaxed atmosphere where he could communicate freely about his problem. Although he appreciated the gesture, Jonathan realized that these techniques would have been useful if he himself weren't already developing those skills in the basic theoretical-practical field.