𝟎𝟏𝟏

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟏
𝐋𝐨𝐧𝐝𝐨𝐧, 𝐄𝐧𝐠𝐥𝐚𝐧𝐝

Adeline sat in her study with a book in hand. A poetry book. And no, not the one she was gifted years before. It was one she always came back to ever since she was a little girl.

Despite the fact she had read it a dozen times, she never got bored of it. Poetry was one of the only things Adeline could read over and over again and still be left in awe of how beautifully put together it was. She was easy to please.

It had been two years since her feet walked the cobble of Small Heath. And she had never felt better.

Adeline had built a friendship with Ser Henry — and of course Maxwell but that friendship never went away. They were both devoted to Adeline and keeping her protected. Or in other words, riding out on the fields with her or listening to her rant about her father.

Of course they couldn't give their input on the king and his behaviours but they could definitely listen and communicate through the looks in their eyes.

Adeline was very grateful for the pair. It could get quite lonely in the palace walls but Maxwell and Henry made it a lot less lonely.

It was safe to say she was doing a lot better in the terms of what happened to her dear son. She had worked on healing and it had worked significantly. Yes she still missed him and his father but she no longer felt as guilty about it all.

"Do you care to join me for breakfast this morning?" She asked Maxwell as he trailed behind her. Before he could answer, she spoke again. "You will join me for breakfast this morning." She said.

Maxwell raised his eyebrows but didn't argue. "Very well." He responded.

"Where's Henry?" She asked, noticing his absence. Her shoes made a loud sound against the stone floors as they walked. "I believe he is attending to the king at this moment."

Adeline grinned and they shared a glance, both trying to keep in their laughter. "How unfortunate." She said sympathetically.

Maxwell sniggered quietly and shook his head. "We flip a coin nowadays to see who has to tend to your father." He admitted quietly once they entered the dining room where the maids had began setting the table.

Adeline snapped her head toward him. "That is absurd— I love it." She grinned, pulling her own chair and taking a seat.

Maxwell stood behind her and let out a breathy laugh.

Since returning, Adeline had tried to stay away from James as much as she could. And it worked for the most part. There were certain occasions where he simply couldn't be avoided. After a few months of being home, Adeline became somewhat careless and began joking a lot more. She and Maxwell, sometimes Henry too, would make quiet comments or jokes that would most likely get them in a lot of trouble if someone was to hear.

And still, her identity was a secret to the world. Which surprised her. After leaving Small Heath, Adeline fully expected Thomas to go running his mouth.

But he didn't.

Adeline slipped a few slices of toast and a handful of fruit onto a napkin she had placed onto her lap whilst none of the maids were looking. She would give this to Maxwell and Henry after breakfast was over. She did it all the time and still hadn't been caught. Yes they got fed but not half as good as Adeline did.