Chapter 4: Two Negatives Make a Positive, Right?

i think by now you've noticed the titles have pretty much nothing to do with the chapter itself lmfao

also yes hello i'm back sorry for takin over a whole-ass week to write this chapter i wassss
distracted with school n shit
and also for some reason this chapter was kinda hard to write iunno

anyways morgannnn!! (and saanvi i love saanvi please skdfdsfls)

Saanvi has her arms crossed when Peter shows up exactly forty-five seconds late to his shift.

"What was it?" She immediately demands.

He slips behind the counter and into the back, passing right by her. "I have no idea what you're talking about."

Saanvi rolls her eyes. "Oh, don't play dumb with me, Peter, I know what's going on. You were late."

"By less than a minute!" Peter calls out to her from where he's jotting down the time and sorting through his stuff. "Hardly call that valid grounds for interrogating me."

She leans her hip on the door, watching him with a raised eyebrow and her arms still crossed. He'd say she's the picture of menace, really, if he'd never seen Black Widow in action. "No, but you're never late. You live in the apartment across the street. So either someone attempted to murder you on your minute-long walk here, or someone attempted to murder you yesterday."

That was... scarily accurate. He knows it's just her personality, but wow.

He laughs sheepishly. "Am I not allowed to be tired sometimes?"

She ticked her other eyebrow up so the two of them matched.

"Okay, fair," Peter mutters, sliding on his apron and adjusting his name tag. "I was in an accident of sorts. Was not fun to wake up." He flashes a smile at her, walking past her to his post.

Saanvi snicks her tongue, clicking on her phone. "Right, so, you have a boy, is what you're saying?"

Peter scoffs. "What the hell, Vi? No, I said I was in an accident. Not an... affair."

She hums. "I know what I said," she says firmly.

"Yeah, alright," he muses.

"Also, what are you, seventy? Affair? Really?"

"Oh, back off, you're older than me."

"By, what, a couple years? That's nothing. You're mentally a boomer. You are part of the problem."

Peter laughs at that. "Wow, brutal much? What did they ever do to you?"

"I dunno, climate change? The economy? The government? The list goes on." she mutters near the end, pocketing her phone when some college-age kid looking dead on their feet walks into the shop.

"Hnng, can I have something, I don't care, coffee? Like, straight. Dark. Espresso depresso, give me the good stuff," they murmer into their scarf, looking like they're going to fall over. "I want three shots, maybe, all the shots, please coffee, I'll give you all my student loan funds, please."

———

Ah, babysitting Morgan. What an honour. (Morgan is Tony and Pepper's adorable five-year-old daughter. Well, adorable is subjective. She's mostly just a little shit. And way too smart for her own good.)

Isn't it just so much fun to watch her play whack-a-mole for hours on end before running off in some direction the moment he isn't looking?

No. No, it isn't. In fact, it's the opposite of fun, chasing around that little shit as she tries her damnedest to make his life a living hell.