016.

YOU WALKED AROUND with Takeru for a bit, getting some yakisoba that you gobbled up in seconds, some shaved ice, and doing some games. He seemed to be having the time of his life, and you were just glad he was having fun.

Gojo faded from your mind, not seeing the similar white hair again. Takeru held onto your hand tightly, the other hand holding his bag of goodies that he won from the games.

"Midori!" You heard someone call towards you. You whipped your head around, a smile blooming on your face when you saw Hina, waving her arm furiously as she walked towards you. "Hey, Hina. Who'd you come with?" You asked, looking behind her.

"I came with my friends from middle school." She explained, seeing her friends huddled up in front of a stall, eating skewers. She peeked behind you, seeing the little boy clutching on to your clothes, hiding behind you. "This is my cousin. He's a bit shy." You laughed, and she smiled at his adorable personality, waving.

"I kind of expected you to be here with that first year, Gojo." She pouted. After the sports festival, Hina made it obvious that she was rooting for the two of you. She was a big fan and supporter of your situationship, if you could even call it that.

You shrugged. "He had family business." You replied shortly. She quirked her eyebrows, and slowly nodded. "Huh. I could've sworn I saw him earlier."

Your eyes widened when she said this. "Wait, really?" Her eyes averted into the sky, before firmly nodding. "Yeah. I remember wondering why he wasn't here with you." Your heart sank a bit, but you didn't want to assume too quickly. Maybe he was alone.

"Was he with someone?" You asked, heart beating against your chest. She shrugged. "I don't know, I couldn't really see him too well. Maybe he finished his family business early so he's looking for you! Does he know you're here?" Hina was getting excited while talking about the topic.

"I haven't told him directly, but he might know." You guessed. Gojo usually knew things about you that you've never even told him before because he loves talking about you. Last week, you casually brought up how you played basketball in middle school to Geto, and the next day, that was all Gojo could talk about.

A few days after that, he somehow found out about the knee injury you had in middle school, too. You didn't think it was creepy—you kind of thought it was cute, how attentive he was.

Which, is why you lightly assumed he might be here, looking for you. In fact, you wanted to believe it. The thought made your heart jump, and brought a smile to your face. Because you and Gojo were always together, the two of your never thought of exchanging contacts, so he didn't have your number.

"I'm going to go look for him. Bye, Hina!" You waved, a new smile decorating your face. She smiled back, waving and turning to go join her friends. "Come on, Takeru. Let's go find my friend." You said.

He whined, rubbing his eye. "I'm tired." He huffed. You shook your head, picking him up and settling him on your hip. You rushed through the busy crowds, pushing though and scanning left to right for any sign of the figure that you've engraved into your mind.

Your heart pounded against your chest, your face red in anticipation. This would be the night. You were finally going to usher up the courage to ask him to be yours. There was no doubt you liked him, especially by the way you were desperately looking for him.

The fireworks started going off, and you hadn't realized how late it was. Adrenaline was rushing through your veins, the loud music, fireworks illuminating side of your face, and the sound of people celebrating exciting you further more.

Finally, in the distance, yours eyes caught the familiar head of white hair. His height made him easy to spot. Your cheeks warmed as you saw him, immediately pushing against the crowd to approach him. He was wearing casual clothing, you noted. He had shaved ice in one hand, and your steps halted a bit.

Then, the crowds dispersed a bit, and you saw her, too. The first year that was gorgeous and popular—Airi. She was smiling widely, as if having the time of her life, looking towards Gojo with a spark in her eyes that you recognized. As if he noticed you, his eyes glinted towards yours.

Oh.

You saw how his face dropped. You saw him, and he saw you. You saw him see you. All movement seemed to have stopped, staring past people's heads as you look at him like a deer in headlights.

You let out a breath you didn't realize you had been holding, your breath a mixture of various feelings. Excitement was pushed out of your body, and new feelings flooded in. Jealousy, anger, pain, rejection, and somehow even betrayal.

You broke eye contact first, forcing your eyes to tear away from the blue ones that you loved looking at. You looked at Takeru, dozing off in your arms. "You're tired, right? Ready to go home?" You said in a quiet voice, clearing your throat to hide any sign of pain.

He nodded quietly, rubbing his eye. Without looking back towards Satoru, you turned, and started heading the other way. You didn't want to look. Even if you knew what you saw, you just didn't want to see it again. To confirm it.

You bit your lips, eyebrows furrowed. You wanted to dig a hole and bury yourself in it. How could you be so stupid? How could he act like he was obsessed with you and then lie to your face?

But, still, the same sentence rang in your head over and over. It's not like he's my boyfriend or anything.

A/N Guys I know some of you don't like misunderstanding tropes but HEAR ME OUT okay this is different

QOTD: jujutsu kaisen characters you hate?

A: FUUUUUUUCKKKK Sukuna and Mahito and Naoya. AND KENJAKU