1. Chapter

"This is the world I was born in," Neyra sighed as she slowly approached the city. Cold, unfair, and unforgiving. Those were just a few of the words you could call this place. But for sure not a paradise. For some, it was hell. For others, it was just a walk in the park. But for people like her, it was fighting to survive.

Neyra took a paper off the bounty board. First hunt of today. She didn't feel like going to the sheriff for small talk, so she just left with the poster.

Caulum Dierre was wanted for fraud with thirty credits on his head. He must have pissed off someone rich. That is how you easily get a bounty on your head. Either you piss off someone rich or you simply break the rules. That should be an easy one though. She smirked and went to the last location he was seen. Sarah's Bay is named after the current queen on the throne.

She was making her way on Aleen, her beautiful grullo mare closer and closer to the bay. It was the quickest way she could get to her destination without someone noticing her from far away.

If someone looked at Neyra, one would think, what is she wearing? So inappropriate for a woman. Is that a boy? Where is the elegance? But for her, it was the most comfortable clothes on Earth. She never was a fan of skirts and how easily you could trip. Her chances of defending herself were lower, yet never zero. Neyra's dark clothes were made right to fit her. To fit her job as a bounty hunter.

Bounty hunting. Work for those who were strong or for those who didn't have any other chance. But was it the right job for a woman? Women in her world were elegant, the only elegancy you could find in Neyra was that she could kill with style. Sure, woman Warriors were a thing, or those with powerful gifts, but what for a girl she was? She hadn't even gotten her power, she had still two years without them in front of her.

With all her hope relying on her strength and her skills, she stopped her mare and left her in the meadow. Neyra tucked her daggers comfortably into her shoe and behind her belt, then finally, she attached her father's sword to her back. Now she was ready to go.

Once she will leave the tree line she was hiding in, she will be vulnerable and an easy kill. Neyra peeked and watched the nature around her. It was too peaceful a place to be bounty hunting. And there she saw the smoke. Camp could be nearby. She ducked and slowly followed the trail of smoke. Through the high grass which she also used as cover. She didn't dare to step down on the beach.

A few steps from where Neyra was standing voices could be heard. That should be them. Neyra thought. No mistakes now. She inhaled and took the dagger that was on her Belt. Now or never.

She ran forward on the overhanging and drew her dagger. She got only a split-second decision as she identified the man she jumped on from the top. The second man wasn't that lucky. As Neyra landed on Caulum, the dagger left her hand and was now in the second man's chest. Right in the heart.

Caulum threw her over his shoulder, and she landed on the cold surface of the Earth. She quickly rotated herself and drew her dagger from her boot. Caulum didn't even have a chance to draw his sword as the hilt of the dagger ended in his thigh. Neyra smirked at her work as the sword fell from his hand in pure shock.

She didn't hesitate and hostage him. She retrieved her daggers and started cleaning them as she looked through their small camp.

"Hey, you! Please, I-I can pay you more than you would get for my head," Caulum tried to free himself with words. "I promise you, neither would you see me nor hear from me again."

"Many people tried to free themselves with lies," Neyra said as she turned the blade in her hand and pointed it at him. "You are no different from them," she said and added, "nor is your fate." She finished with a cold face but somewhere, deep down in those dark eyes, you could find a piece of comparison.

But she isn't the judge of his fate, then who is? The man who calls himself the sheriff? Or the one with the Crown on his head? Who are we to take the thing we shouldn't oversee? But peace, freedom, everything comes with a price, and I am pretty sure that they all know it.

She scooped around the camp and took all the valuables she could take. Food, arrows, money, and any other goods that could be taken. Neyra whistled for Aleen to come to her. The mare snorted after a while as a greeting but didn't dare to jump down the overhanging that Neyra did before.

"All right let's get you to your new home," she smiled at Caulum as she threw him up on the overhanging and then climber there herself.

"Put me down, you crazy woman!" He yelled at her as she made her way to Aleen up on the overhanging. Soon she strapped Caulum behind her saddle. Neyra patted Aleen and climbed into the saddle.

"Let's go home girl," she whispered to her as she spurred her forward. The mare snorted as a yes and started following Neyra's orders.

On the track back to the city, she didn't have any interruptions so far, everything was peaceful and quiet. Too quiet for this part of the kingdom. And Neyra didn't like the sound of that.

"What do we have here?" A voice teased her. Patrol?No, those must have been bandits or bounty hunters who wanted to steal herbounty.