9. Chapter

Neyra let her curiosity get the best of her as she closed the door to the sanctuary. It was peacefully quiet at this time of the hour, and she hoped that no one was near. Let alone the guard.

Slowly she made her way into the cave, walking down the path she already knew. Inhaling the cave's fresh smell, she looked around wanting to remember every detail.

Just as she did the first time she was here, as well as in the dream, she sat in the middle of the cave, surrounded by the four element stones.

Neyra cleared her mind, giving herself into the calming sounds of the cave. It looked way more peaceful at night than in the day, as the moon shined through small openings in the ceiling.

Once again, she felt the warmth of her mother hug, as the fire element shined, a golden path tracing its way to her chest.

Similar paths started to form from the other stones circling around her. The cave was filled with dim golden light shining from the stones. It looked exactly like she has dreamed before.

The new feelings Neyra felt overwhelmed her. She thought about Torwin, her parents and hell, even some of the people she met. All the raw magic pouring into her reminded her of those exact people.

After a while of sitting there, she proceeded to open one of her eyes. Catching a glimpse of the shining element stones before they settled back onto the ground again.

I shouldn't be here, she thought. It was wrong. Taken aback by why had just happened she got out of the cave, slightly panting, and catching objects around her for balance.

The ritual wasn't complete, since Neyra decided to break out of it, by stopping the meditation. After every successful magic breach, a prophecy was supposed to be engraved on a wall or stone in the cave, awaiting to be read.

But that didn't happen with Neyra. She could feel the air disrupted. Everything around her felt shifted. Imbalance. Discord.

As she somehow got herself to the street she lived on, Torwin quickly ran to her as soon as he saw her from the window.

"Ney?" he asked her, helping her home. She stayed quiet as she herself didn't know what was happening.

Torwin let her tell him later, hoping that it wasn't that serious. He sat her down on the couch in their living room, giving her a glass of water.

"Thanks," she managed to push out of herself.

Everything that happened was in a blur for her. The cave, especially the way back. She couldn't bear it anymore, giving herself into the grasp of darkness.

No one really explained how the magic breach was supposed to be done, well, maybe she shouldn't have done it without studying into it more, but the thought of danger and unknow attracted her.

Neyra looked around herself, seeing nothing in the darkness that surrounded her fully.

"Hello?"

No answer.

She began to walk in one direction, hopefully reaching the end of the darkness, wanting to see the light she now really missed.

Her inner fire kept her warm, the light breeze from the direction she was walking reassured her she was going on the right path, or at least she hoped to be.

As she was on the brink of reaching the light, she ran for it, feeling the sound of water, her body almost reaching the outline of the dim light line.

But nothing could be that easy. Darkness emerged from all around her, as a pair of crimson eyes were looking at her.

A wave of shivers ran down her spine, her heartbeat becoming faster as she looked at the eyes that were glowing in the darkness.

White teeth could be seen and a low growl escaping from the beast that was in front of her. Leather sounds and heavy steps circled around Neyra.

What is that? She thought, trying to spot something in the dark. If only she had magic already, she wouldn't have to deal with darkness and moreover with this whole problem.

Senses heightened, her hand resting on her belt with the kreox dagger, she tried to calm herself. This situation was rather unusual and Neyra didn't know what to do.

Something cold touched her leg as she stood there frozen in place. Only her reflexes slashing the dagger around her leg. The only problem was that this caused more harm than good.

Now she didn't feel anything else, only darkness holding her legs in place from moving. A dark, dim light fire – well probably shadows were holding her.

Suddenly, the fire slowly turned purple and danced around her a little, at least she some light source now. But maybe she was better without it.

A tall dark beast-dragon was standing in front of her. His crimson, more like amethyst eyes were staring straight into her soul.

The old mythical creature looked old, older than the world itself. His skin covered in battle scars, his leather wings having some small holes. He looked pissed at her appearance standing there in front of him.

"Who dares to enter this place," it growled at you, showing his teeth, and getting closer to Neyra. It seemed like some barrier was separating those, fortunately, or it wouldn't end up good.

Its claws were searching for blood and flesh, but Neyra didn't seem to flinch. Was that a dragon? Was she in a dragon den or was this just her imagination?

"Are you the one who dared to summon me?" The creature lit the room with fire, letting her see it in full beauty. She was frozen in place, the dragon looking her straight in the eyes, "weakling. You should celebrate if you survive summoning me."

Neyra wanted to return to the light, the same light she had almost reached a mere minute ago, "how is this possible?" she looked at the dragon, hiding her fear.

"You summoned me and yet you don't know how."

"Well, I didn't really plan on summoning you..."

"This is getting better and better!" The dragon laughed, "I will tell you this one time, one more accident like this and I won't answer."

He won't answer. What does that mean? Neyra tried to stay calm, but she needed answers, which this creature didn't seem to give her.

The dragons didn't exactly go extinct, but it wasn't like they were flying in the sky. So, what happened? She learned about the blood moon genocide and dragon hunting in school, but it still didn't make sense.

"You better solve this mystery," the dragon teased her, as if he exactly read her thoughts.

"Why wont you tell me?" she demanded an answer directly from him.

"What would be the fun in that?"