Part 1

Gotham City, New Jersey, Scarlet Rose's Autoshop
August, 2023 - 5 PM

The once empty auto shop was bustling with workers shouting at one another over the loud music that played overhead.

They were setting up last minute things before opening day, excitement running through the workers. Smiles and laughter were being exchanged around the open room.

Looking down from a massive window, a redhead stood on the second floor her arms crossed tightly against her. Pride sat heavily on her chest, but she didn't dare show it in her expression.

Her lips were pressed into a hardline, not knowing how to be happy anymore. Any happiness she felt for the last 15 years has been followed by sorrow and the want to share it with her father.

But she couldn't.

She had been waiting far too long for this, the rush of emotion causing her to nearly miss her phone ringing behind her. Finally snapping away from the window, she rushed over to her desk answering the call.

"Scarlett St-James." She chimed, aranging the papers she had lined out on her desk. It was her employees signing bonuses, none of them aware of the pay raise yet. She was going to surprise them for their hard work within the last few months.

"Finally! I phoned you twice." The voice on the other end sounded out of breath, Scarlett rolling her bright green eyes. No hello or how are you, but she wasn't surprised.

"God forbides I'm the busy one for once." She grumbled in return, once more turning to face the large window. Not only did she have a view of the main floor in the garage, but she could also see out into the street. Not that the view was that beautiful of a view, a mix of factories and shops lining the way.

But it felt familiar, and right.

"Right... I'm going to have to get used to you actually doing something with your days." She replied monotoned, the redhead's lips twisting into a smile. If anyone else was talking to her that way she'd have been insulted, but she knew Veronica far too well. It was how she showed love at the end of the day.

"What is it you're calling for?" Scarlett asked getting to the point. She still had a large list of things to finish before the next week, opening day fast approaching.

"I wanted to confirm what time the celebration was tomorrow. I may be arriving late." She replied, the redhead sighing to this. Of course she was going to be late, she'd have been surprised if she had shown up on time.

"It starts at 7PM but I'll probably be at the shop overnight so you can stop by whenever." Scarlett answered, tucking her phone between her shoulder and cheek as she filled out the remaining documents. "You couldn't have texted me this like a normal person?" She asked now, realizing she had called her twice just to ask a basic question.

"My hands are busy." Veronica simply replied, the redhead's eyes narrowing as she started to understand. Looking at the time across from her, she did the quick time difference math still confused.

"At 2PM?" She asked, curiosity now spiking within her.

"I have a job later." Was her answer, the brunette was someone who rarely answers questions with proper answers. She allowed whoever she speaks to, to fill in the rest of the blanks. Scarlett was luckily well versed in speaking Veronica Teller.

Knowing Veronica, she had thought of doing it on a whim, no actual thought behind it at all. Simply found something to do and did it. It was her typical way of doing things really. Scarlett the one that came up with plans while she went off script, sometimes offrailing them.