chapter one: godolkin university

CELESTE

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

I'm trapped. Everything round me is moving and frozen at once. I'm under a girl, I can feel rocks digging into my back. She's screaming and soon enough I'm screaming too.

"HELP"
"SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME"

"CELESTE! Come on Ce, wake up it's just a nightmare!"

I jolt up and see Cate standing over my bed, her bare hand on my shoulder. I'm covered in sweat and already can't wait to jump in the shower. "What time is it?"

Cate looks both concerned and annoyed so I already know it's an ungodly hour to be screaming. "It's 3:46 in the morning, which means i'm going back to sleep. You should try to get some more sleep as well, first day back to classes is tomorrow."

I know I should try to sleep but I already know it's not going to work. Cate has offered to help me sleep, but I could never ask her to do more than she already does. Her powers put such a strain on her and I feel bad enough as it is. So instead I sneak out of bed and head to the showers. It's honestly better for me to get ready this early in the morning, there's no people. Which also means there is no shadows. I've gotten so much better at controlling the pull, but sometimes it's too strong and I get sucked in anyways. I can't count the amount of times I've been pulled into a shadow in the showers while fully clothed. It's humiliating for me and the persons who's shadow I stole. They get a surprise shower visit, and I get soaking wet clothes and a giant shove out of the bathrooms.

So, I get ready by myself. I mean hey, more hot water for me I guess. As I'm showering I begin to think about the day ahead of me. First day of senior year, it's seems so weird, like only yesterday was my first day on campus. I've come so fucking far from freshman year too. I'm number three, I have the best friends in the whole entire world, and I have a city contract already lined up. All is finally well, well except for the whole Jordan thing. That however is way out of my control, I've done my part. I live for the day Jordan Li pulls that giant stick out of their ass.

When we were freshman, Jordan and I were inseparable. I mean, that's how our whole group became friends. Cate started dating Luke, Luke was best friends with Andre, and Cate was roommates with me who was best friends with Jordan. All was fine until one day Jordan just pushed me away out of nowhere. I can't even shadow them to find out, as they always know I'm there. So for now I'll continue to hang out with my friends and pretend the little rat in the corner doesn't exist.

"Shit!" I realize I may have became distracted in my shower and I know feel freezing cold water on my back. At least I got to wash my hair and shave.

I step out and see that some of the other girls on the floor have began to start getting ready as well. I recognize one of  girls whom which I shadowed in the showers sophomore year and take it as a sign to finish getting ready in my dorm.

When I get back I see that Cate is still sleeping, so I turn the lights on and cast a shadow over her bed, hoping it's dark enough so she can stay asleep. It's 5:30 now and I have about 3 hours till I should head down to the training arena. One of the biggest flexes of being in the top 10, everyone loves to see you workout out in the mornings. The amount of followers and DMs I get just from other students who have seen me workout in insane.

My powers are mainly defensive, so offensively I'm all on my own. I've been training for years now and it's definitely paid off. I'm both incredibly strong and not to flex, incredibly built. I've learned to fight offensively without any powers in that area so it's pretty impressive, one of the main reasons i'm in the top three.