Chapter Three: Secrets

The waterfall was tucked into the trees so it was perfectly private. There was even a curtain of flowering vines that hung along the side of the pool at the base of the falls. The pool itself was about twice the size of a normal bathtub and the water was waist deep.

I stared into the crystal clear water as I stripped off my clothes. They were tossed to the ground while my new clothes were neatly folded and sitting on a rock. I dipped my toes into the water. It was cold, but in a refreshing way. It would be perfectly comfortable to soak in for a while.

I stepped into the water and sunk in to my shoulders. For a while, I just floated in the water with a smile on my face. It felt amazing. I could just exist for a moment. I wasn't running or hiding. I was just relaxing in the cool water.

My head dipped back and I ran my fingers through my hair. It was grimy and tangled but I had plenty of time to take care of it. My smile grew. I couldn't even remember the last time I had a moment like this where I was safe and free to just be.

Eventually, I moved under the waterfall to wash myself off. Jack had found some biodegradable soap so I was able to clean myself without worrying about ruining this beautiful little oasis. It was so refreshing to scrub away all the dirt and sweat and even blood that clung to my body. My skin was soft again and I was closer to feeling more beautiful and more like myself. I washed my hair and then I stood under the waterfall for a long time. I loved the pressure of the water on my back. It was like a massage.

When I was finally done cleaning myself, I climbed out of the water and dried off. Somehow Jack had gotten his hands on extra soft towels. Or maybe it had just been so long since I used a proper towel that these ones felt luxurious. I changed into the clothes Jack provided for us and they were just as soft.

I sat on a rock, still smiling at how refreshed and comfortable I was, and I began brushing out my hair.

There were footsteps coming toward the waterfall and I looked up as Jack came walking through the trees. I relaxed when I saw him and then I realized my heart had been beating fast. Was that because I was worried The Second had found us again? Or was that just my natural reaction to seeing Jack?

"You doing okay out here?" Jack asked. He smiled kindly at me as he approached.

"Yeah," I said quietly. I finished brushing my hair and then I switched to braiding it to keep it from getting too tangled again. "I don't remember the last time I was this clean."

Jack chuckled. He walked past me and kicked off his shoes. Then he sat on the edge of the pool and dangled his feet in the water.

"That's good," he said. "Your brothers certainly seem to be enjoying themselves. They both passed out in the tent immediately. It seems like this is the best sleep they've gotten for a long time."

I nodded. My fingers still quickly worked through my hair and my eyes studied Jack. He looked so relaxed by the water. He leaned back on his hands while his feet kicked lazily back and forth. I loved the way his dark hair sat messily atop his head. It looked so soft and I wondered what it would be like to run my fingers through it.

"Zach hasn't slept much in the last few weeks," I said quietly and I forced myself to look away from Jack. I stared at the water instead. "He always insists on keeping watch while Jonah and I rest. But I know that's not the only reason he refuses to sleep."

"Does he still get nightmares?" Jack mumbled. My eyes flickered back to him. There was a sad and almost guilty expression on his face.

"Yes," I whispered.

Jack nodded slowly. He looked down at the water and his feet stopped kicking.

"I was hoping they would have gotten better by now."