Chapter Five: Thunder

A low rumble filled the air and my eyes watched the heavy gray clouds drifting closer. I could already smell the coming rain and I wondered how well our small camp would hold up against it. The two tents already swayed in the increasing wind while I sat below a canopy tent between them. Jonah was sitting with me as I changed his bandages once again. We were covered above, but the walls of the canopy were open. Once it started raining, I doubted we'd stay very dry.

Thunder rolled through the sky again. It was louder this time.

"You'll have to get used to that."

Jonah and I both looked up as Jack stepped out of one of the tents. My heart jumped at the sight of him. His hair was slightly mussed and his soft t-shirt was wrinkled from sleep. Despite our late night, he looked well-rested and his usual smile graced his lips. I watched as he ran a hand through his messy hair. My eyes lingered on his hand even as he dropped it back down to his side. I couldn't help the images that filled my mind. I was reminded of where those hands had been last night.

Jack's fingers toyed with the hem of my shirt, teasing me as we kissed once again. The kiss was slower, more halted. My body was tensed while I waited to see what his hands would do. Meanwhile, his lips guided mine. I could feel him leaning into me. I opened my mouth slightly and dared to slide my tongue against his lips. I shouldn't have been surprised when it soon met his. They moved together gently until he pushed his tongue into my mouth. I made a small noise of satisfaction as he did.

While we kissed, his hands moved up farther until they were fully under my shirt. He was taking his time and tracing his fingers over my skin. I could feel goosebumps prickle my flesh, partly from his touch and partly from the cold night. His hands smoothed over them as they ventured higher. Each slow inch up my body seemed to take a millennium. But as he got higher, I could feel his grip on me tighten slowly. He was no longer simply touching me. He was holding me.

I gasped and tilted my head back when his lips broke away from mine and instead moved down to my neck. He kissed by my ear and slowly down my throat. When he finally reached my collarbone, he sucked gently on my skin and I moaned quietly. My body was still tense as I grew accustomed to all the ways he was touching me.

"Relax, Lia," he whispered and his hands moved even higher.

"We have to get used to what?" Jonah asked with narrowed eyes and an unfriendly tone.

I blinked several times as I came back to the present moment. My eyes were still on Jack's hands and I quickly looked up to meet his eyes. He was smirking and giving me a knowing look that I hoped my brother didn't see. Jack then turned to look at the sky and I pretended I was still focused on cleaning the cut on Jonah's shoulder.

"I was talking to Lia, not you," Jack said and I detected a slight smugness in his voice. I applied a new bandage to Jonah's shoulder, glancing up at Jack often. His eyes were still on the clouds. "I'm talking about the thunderstorm. They happen a lot in Melodis. Especially during the summer. You'll have to get used to them."

"Do they...do a lot of damage?" I asked slowly. I remembered something Jack mentioned about Corbyn helping people in the city restore storefronts after storms.

Jack laughed and another smile brightened his face. The sound of his laugh made me ache for him. I was torn between wanting to touch him again and feeling guilty for what we did last night.

I stifled a moan as Jack's hand finally cupped my breast. My body trembled slightly, intensely aware of the fact that no one else had ever touched me like this. I forced myself to breathe and relaxed into his touch. He squeezed me gently and I loved the way my body tingled as he massaged my soft skin. He kneaded my breast and slowly tapered his touch until his fingers were pinching my nipple. I gasped and whimpered quietly. My nipple hardened between his fingers and I felt him smile since his lips were still languidly kissing up and down my neck.