Chapter two: pick up pieces

1/7:Utah's POV

Waiting in that office was too overwhelming today. Which was weird because Utah never had issues with it before as she had always had this office it seemed to her. Though she probably has only had it for a few years.

The ceiling fan made too much noise, the sunlight from the sunrise peering in from the window was too bright for her today. The beige walls of her office felt like they were closing in and suffocating her. The books on the nearby shelf screamed at her with memories of her father.

Anything and everything was just stressing her out and sending her over the edge. Some of her siblings she could contact were on their way over to her so they could plan the funeral of their father and sister all together. But it did seem as though there was some peace even if it was ever so temporary.

She didn't want to invite certain people like California or New Jersey but she knew that not letting them come could be taken with offense and start another fight so she invited them. She gave the benefit of the doubt and hoped there'd be no conflict at the funeral.

Yet something was bothering her. She had heard news that Texas might possibly invade New Mexico. The reporters couldn't confirm it but they were adamant that it shouldn't be ignored. Another war right at her borders wasn't a thing she needed to deal with. She already had fought so hard to be neutral she didn't want to be pushed to a point where she no longer was.

She stared at the simple star shaped hair clip in her hand. The only reminder that what had happened yesterday wasn't a nightmare she could wake up from. A knock at the door brought her out of her thoughts momentarily.

"Come in." Utah spoke softly. She cried so hard yesterday that she basically shredded her voice and she couldn't really speak too loudly without being uncomfortable. The door opened, allowing a petite woman with brunette hair to walk in.

"We got word about New Mexico being invaded." Her personal assistant spoke sadly. She was hired a few months ago to help the young state. No she wasn't a state anymore. She was on her own but she was now glad that they hired that assistant.

But things just were not going great right now and Utah didn't want her to suffer that consequence. She sighed and stood up out of her chair. In most cases she'd help her younger brother but right now she couldn't do much with her hands tied behind her back.

"Talk to the governor about sending aid to the cities. But no soldiers and no weapons." Utah spoke disappointed. This was not going to end that well for anyone.

She hasn't talked to Texas in so long she wanted it to end but everytime she called it was his governor and a simple 'he doesn't want to talk to you'. What did I do wrong to mess this all up? She asked herself repeatedly in her head.

The secretary nodded understandingly and left, shutting the wooden door on her way out. Utah walked over to a shelf in her office and put the hair clip up. She didn't want it ruined or broken. Not like how she ruined and tore everything apart. She was supposed to not mess this all up. She was to help keep her father and sister safe but here she was now planning their funeral.

Then her phone rang making her thoughts stop screaming at her. She took some deep breaths to calm herself and pushed the answer button. She had a pretty good guess as to who it was.

"Hello?" She spoke tiredly. The person on the phone didn't notice that Utah sounded off. To be fair they hadn't heard her voice in years and even then they rarely talked to her.

"I've just landed, can you come get me?" The girl on the other line spoke. Utah paused, took out a tube of chapstick on her desk and put it on before putting it in a drawer. She didn't expect someone, especially someone so far away to have already gotten here.