Reminiscence.

Author's Note
Hi guys! I know this chapter is really short, I am super busy! The next chapter is going to be interesting though... *evil laugh*
- Jess x

Sybbie entered the drawing room to find her aunt Mary waiting for her, her head in a magazine. When she saw her niece, she stood up and placed the magazine on the coffee table.

"Ah, there you are. I wanted to give you something" Mary said secretly.
Sybbie watched in confusion as Mary led her over to the table and picked up a large, rectangular box tied with a pink ribbon before passing it to Sybbie, who began to curiously open it.

She lifted of the lid slowly to reveal a beautiful lavender dress with a white collar and buttons. On the front, there was a beautiful piece of lace embroidered into the fabric, with the same design on the sleeves. It was beautiful!
"Oh, Mary I love it!"Sybbie squealed, hugging her aunt. Mary hugged her back and stepped towards her slightly.
"What you don't know is that this dress was your mother's, when she was a girl. I had it taken down from the attic last week and adjusted slightly to fit you and the fashions of today. I thought it would be nice for the ball"

"It would, thank you!" Sybbie said, unfolding the dress. She was just laying it on the table when a tiny piece of paper from inside the dress fluttered to the ground. Picking it up, she gasped.

Sybil, Edith and Mary all stood in a line in front of Downton, wearing their best dresses for some event or other. Sybbie saw her mother in the photograph, with the biggest smile on her face. She looked so happy. Looking over the photograph a second time, she saw that her mother was wearing a beautiful lavender dress. Her lavender dress.

Mary, seeing Sybbie's surprise, began to explain the photo.
" This was taken at a house party just before the war. I remember Sybil wouldn't wear anything else for about a week, she loved it so much. I think she would want you to have it"

Tears brimming in her eyes, Sybbie smiled gratefully at Mary before giving her another hug. When she couldn't be further apart from Sybil, she felt closer than she had ever felt to her mother.

Looking down at her niece, Mary smiled wistfully. She had always imagined Sybbie to be the daughter she never had, and would have had if Matthew was still alive. She could, yes, she would, be her mother.