Chapter One

"Hey, white girl!" I heard a voice as I passed by. I turned to find the lead G-G (Ghetto Girl), Sophia, standing with her hand on her hip.

I took a deep breath and answered, "Yeah?"

"I heard you've been talking to my boyfriend, Arthur."

"Who?"

"You know who I'm talking about. Don't play stupid!"

"I don't know what you're talking about." I shook my head in puzzlement.

"Arthur said you stalked him at Saint's until he gave you his number, even though he told you he had a girlfriend."

I wanted to tell Sophia that it was the other way around, but I knew it would only infuriate her.

"Sorry, I think you have the wrong person."

"No, I don't. He described you. The dirty girl from Washington who thinks she's white." Sophia's crew burst into laughter as she stood there with her arms crossed, staring me up and down. I was pissed, but instead of arguing back, I muttered, "Whatever," and walked off.

"That's all right. You ain't going to be saying 'whatever' when I kick your ass after school!"

I knew I shouldn't have told Arthur where I went to school. It wasn't like we went out or anything. He was just a boy I met at Saint's a couple of weeks ago. All we did was talk on the phone. Besides, I liked someone else-an older boy named André.

Oh, man, what have I gotten myself into? I thought.

G-Gs were always giving me problems for no reason. I think they were mad because the boys at school liked me; they were always calling me "cutie" and "fine." The G-Gs constantly called me names like "dirty white girl" because I spoke "proper," or "white", as they called it. They also hated the fact that I was light-skinned with what black people call "good hair."

They were the reason I hated King Middle School. It was rough and harsh-a lot different than my school in Washington State. At that moment, I really missed Washington. I had a lot of friends there and never had to worry about girls trying to fight me over stupid stuff. Honestly, I was tired of fighting.

Now, I'd had my share of rumbles. G-Gs were professionals. If they knew they couldn't beat someone, they would jump them. I was scared, but I wasn't going to stand there and let them punk me. My plan was to hit as many of them as possible and try to get away. I wasn't sure if it would work, but it was worth a try.

Me and my cousin, Meechie, both went to King Middle School. Although we were in the same grade, we didn't have any classes together. I looked down the hall where her class was to see if I could find her. My white canvas shoes squeaked as I ampled down the massive hallway. I anxiously surveyed every slim, brown-skinned girl with an orange backpack, but she was nowhere in sight. I hoped and prayed that Meechie would come to my rescue if she saw me getting beat down by those crazy-ass girls.