Chapter Two: Blind

They didn't even bother to lift the girl at that moment and dragged her inside the flat instead, locking the door behind them. Their lungs were dying for air from all the physical exertion and after calming their breaths they both collapsed onto the floor.

"Maki's not home?" Kousei asked sitting up.

Ayase looked around as if searching for an answer, then shook her head.

"No." She replied shortly. "She said something about babysitting some kid for the night so I guess she left already. And won't be back until the morning."

The boy nodded and took off his wet outdoor clothes, placing them on the hanger standing next to the entrance. His eyes widened when he looked at his hands. They were both covered in dried blood.

"She's hurt." He noticed, looking at the girl that was lying on the floor. "It was dark so I missed it earlier."

He then kneeled next to the girl and carefully examined her head. He was supporting it earlier when they carried her so he figured out that it might have been most likely the source of blood. He realised he was right when his fingers touched a wet spot with hair sticky from the liquid.

Ayase checked her hands as well but didn't notice any trace of blood on them.

"Wait, I've got a first aid kit in the kitchen." She remembered, quickly heading to the said room and grabbing it from a cabinet.

Kousei took it from her and proceeded to gently cleanse the wound. He was very careful, anxious that he'd accidentally make things worse. After applying the dressing, he secured everything by wrapping it tightly with a bandage around her head.

"All done." He said, staring at his amateur work with satisfaction. "She doesn't seem to be waking up though. And she's icy cold." He paused, thinking. "I'm pretty sure she has hypothermia."

"Okay doctor, how do we treat that?" Ayase asked with a little smirk on her face. The atmosphere that was so tense since the moment they found the girl was getting a bit more loose and casual, that is until she said that.

His face instantly dropped the moment he heard that word. Ayase didn't mean anything bad, quite the contrary, but after days and days of being forced into studying, reading books kids his age don't read and lots of extracurricular activities after school, he was getting sick by just the slightest mention of it. And all of it because his parents decided for him to become a doctor one day.

"For now we'll have to get dry clothes and wrap her into some thick blankets, warm her up in general. Just don't put her next to any source or direct heat, it might kill her."

Ayase raised her eyebrows in awe and clapped her hands. She didn't expect him to actually respond to that question, but it seemed like his knowledge would be useful until they managed to get professional help.

"Wow, okay. So, you help me to put her in my bedroom and I'll do the rest." She suggested, trying to pick up the girl.

"Careful." He warned, helping her lift the girl. "If her head was injured, she might as well have some other, non-visible injuries."

Ayase nodded. They slowly entered the bedroom and gently placed the girl on her bed.

"Now get out." She said, pointing at the door. "I'm gonna get her changed."

He rolled his eyes and left the room, closing the door behind him.

"Not like I planned to watch." He added from behind the door then headed into the kitchen.

When his footsteps completely disappeared, Ayase opened her closet and started looking for some clothes that would fit the girl. It wasn't an easy task since their sizes visibly differed and most of Aya's clothes would be just too small for the girl. Eventually, she found a pair of loose sweatpants, a basic t-shirt and an oversized blue jumper.