[2] Best Friends 'Til The End

The twins became my best friends in the circus. It's so fun to go out and play with Jerome. Jeremiah doesn't have as much fun.
He prefers it when we stay inside.

I don't know why. There's not much we can do- we mostly do our homework. That is why Jerome doesn't usually join us.

He's just a different type of person, I suppose.

"Why do we even need to do this?" I groan as I put down my pencil.

"So, we can go to a good college and leave this place." He said.

I had never thought about leaving the circus before.

"Why do you need a good college?" I asked, barely knowing what a college was.

"Well, I want to become an architect. And I need to go to college to do that. And if I'm going to a college, I want it to be good." He looked so determined talking about his future.

I didn't know what an architect was, but it sounded important.

"You will get a great college. You're a genius, after all." I nudge him.

"You could, too. You're brilliant. We could go together." He stammers.

What could I do at college?

"I guess it could be fun. Do you think Jerome would want to go to college?"

He shakes his head, "Jerome could never go to any college. He's too dumb."

"Do you think they have a magician school? I want to be a magician when I grow up." I ask, looking for a reason to go to college.

"I don't know, but I don't think so." He frowns.

"That's too bad." I shrug and stand up. "I'm gonna make myself some popcorn; you want something?" I ask as I go to the kitchen.

"No, it's okay. I should probably be leaving."

"Really?" I said dejectedly. "Then, hold on."

As he starts packing up to leave, I run to my room.

"I know your birthday is tomorrow. But I wanted to give you your present early." I walk back with my soppily wrapped gift. "Happy birthday!" I smile as I give him the present.

"Thank you, Hallie." He smiles as he opens the present.

It was a sketchpad and a packet of writing pencils.

"I got you two gifts since I didn't give you one last year." I had to do some pleading and work to get the money for gifts this year.

"I love it, thank you." He nods.

I pull him into a hug, "I'm glad you like it."

He coughs and pulls away, "I should go now, goodbye." He rushes out the door, covering his face.

That night, I snuck my way out and went to their trailer. Jerome was waiting for me behind the trailer.

"Happy birthday.", I say as I run over to hug him.

"I heard that you already gave Jeremiah his gift. He won't shut up about it." He rolls his eyes.

"I also brought you something." I take out a packet of cupcakes from my backpack.

Almost all the cupcakes had been squished.

"Sweet.", he says, happily grabbing the packet.

"I also brought this candle. It's past twelve, so you can make a wish." I take out a number one candle.

"I didn't know I was turning one. I look terrible for my age.", he says dramatically.

I shove him, "Shut up. Ten has a one in it, so it's close enough."