Chapter 23

Author's note: Hey all! I'm putting this here so you all see it. Chapters 23 and 24 will have bonus chapters included. This will be an AU of this AU where instead of a fire, they have a powerful sand storm like in the prophecy. This idea was invented by my book artist 4l3h_dr34m! Thank you for the idea! Sorry it took so long to get to it but I didn't forget!

"Fire! Wake up!" Sandstorm yowled.

Lionheart stumbled out of the warriors' den, her eyes wide with fear.

"We must leave the camp at once!" Sandstorm ordered. "Tell Oakstar the forest is on fire!"

He ran to the elders' den and called through the branches of the fallen oak, "Fire! Get out!" Then he raced to where the apprentices were clambering drowsily from their nests. "Leave the camp! Head for the river," he called. Brightpaw's bewildered face stared at him, still dazed by sleep. "Head for the river!" Sandstorm repeated urgently.

Lionheart was already helping Oakstar across the shadowy clearing. The leader's face was a grotesque mask of fear as Lionheart nudged her forward with her nose.

"This way!" Sandstorm yowled, beckoning with his tail before rushing to help the golden tabby she-cat guide Oakstar toward the entrance. Cats were streaming past on either side of them, their fur bristling.

The forest seemed to roar around them, and above the noise came a hideous two-tone wailing and the frantic barking of Twolegs as they crashed through the forest. Smoke was billowing thickly into the clearing now, and behind it the light of the fire grew ever brighter as it bore down on the camp.

Not till she was outside did Oakstar begin to run, caught in the jostling stream of cats surging up and out of the ravine. "Head for the river," Sandstorm ordered. "Keep an eye on your denmates. Don't lose sight of one another." He felt an eerie calm within him, like a pool of icy water, while noise and heat and panic raged outside.

Sandstorm darted back to round up Willowpelt's kits as they struggled after their father. He was carrying the smallest one in his mouth, his eyes stricken with fear above the bundle that bumped against his forelegs.

"Where's Tigerclaw?" Sandstorm demanded.

Willowpelt signaled with his nose, pointing up the ravine. Sandstorm nodded, relieved that at least the king and his kits were safely out of the camp. He called to Longtail, who was already halfway up the rocky slope. As the warrior scrambled back down, Sandstorm scooped up another of Willowpelt's kits and passed it to Mousefur, who had raced up behind him. He picked up the third, and when Longtail reached his side he gave the kit to her. "Stay near Willowpelt!" he ordered, knowing that the king would keep running only if he knew his kits were safe.

Sandstorm stood at the bottom of the ravine and watched the cats scrambling upward. Clouds of smoke swirled across the sky, hiding Silverpelt from view. Was Starclan watching this? He wondered briefly. He lowered his eyes and saw Oakstar's thick reddish-brown pelt reach the top, bundled along by the other cats. Finally he followed, glancing over his shoulder as he scrambled upward to see fire stretching greedy orange tongues into the ravine, ripping through the bone-dry bracken toward the camp.

Sandstorm scrambled onto the ridge. "Wait!" he called to the fleeing cats. They stopped and turned to face him. Smoke stung Sandstorm's eyes as he peered at his Clanmates through the choking clouds. "Is any cat missing?" he demanded, scanning the faces.

"Where are One-eye and Patchpelt?" Brightpaw's voice rose in a terrified mew.

Sandstorm saw heads turning to look questioningly at one another, and Speckletail answered, "They're not with me."

"They must still be in camp!" meowed Brindleface.

"Where's Squirrelkit?" Tigerclaw's desperate wail rose through the trees above the noise of the fire. "He was behind me when I was climbing the ravine!"