Chapter 27

By late afternoon the lingering smell of smoke had been replaced by the stench of wet ash, but Sandstorm relished its bitter odor.

"The fire must be out by now," he meowed to Silverstream, who was sheltering beside him beneath a clump of reeds. "We could go back and see if it's safe for the Clan to return."

"And look for Raggedpelt and One-eye," Silverstream murmured.

Sandstorm had known that his old friend would guess why he really wanted to go back to the camp. He blinked at the silver tabby warrior, grateful for his understanding.

"I'll have to ask Willowstar if I can come," Silverstream added. The words came as a shock to Sandstorm. He had almost forgotten that Silverstream belonged to another Clan now.

"I'll be back soon," called the silver tabby warrior, already bounding away.

Sandstorm gazed across the clearing to where Oakstar was huddled next to Brindleface, as if the pale gray tabby warrior were the only barrier between her troubled mind and the horrified fate that had befallen her Clan. Sandstorm wondered if he should tell her where he was going. He decided not to. For the moment he would act alone and rely on his Clan to shield their leader's weakened state from the curious Riverclan cats.

"Sandstorm." Brightpaw was heading toward him. "Do you think the fire it out?"

"Silverstream and I are going to check," Sandstorm told him.

"Can I come?"

Sandstorm shook his head. He didn't know what they would find at the Thunderclan camp. Uncomfortably he also realized that he was afraid Brightpaw would take one look at his ruined forest home and be tempted back into the cozy life of a kittypet.

"I'd do everything you told me," Brightpaw promised earnestly.

"Then stay and help take care of your Clan," Sandstorm meowed. "Brindleface needs you here."

Brightpaw hid his disappointment by lowering his head. "Yes, Sandstorm," he mewed.

"Tell Brindleface where I'm going," Sandstorm added. "I'll be back by moonrise."

"Okay."

Sandstorm watched the white and ginger apprentice pad back toward the other cats, praying that Brightpaw would follow his orders for once and stay in the Riverclan camp.

Silverstream returned with Willowstar at his side. The pale tabby's amber eyes were narrowed inquiringly. "Silverstream tells me that he wants to travel with you to your camp," he meowed. "Can't you take one of your own warriors?"

"We lost two Clanmates in the fire," Sandstorm explained, getting to his paws. "I don't want to find them by myself.

The Riverclan leader seemed to understand. "If they have not survived, you'll need the comfort of an old friend," he meowed gently. "Silverstream may go with you."

"Thank you, Willowstar," replied Sandstorm, dipping his head.

Silverstream led the way to the river. On the other side of the swiftly flowing water, the forest was blackened and charred. The tallest trees had managed to retain a few of their leaves, which fluttered bravely at the tips of their highest branches. But it was a small victory when the rest of their branches were black and stripped bare. Starclan may have sent the storm to put out the fire, but it had come too late to save the forest.

Silverstream slipped into the river without speaking and swam across. Sandstorm followed him, struggling to keep up with his strongly paddling friend. As they climbed onto the bank at the other side, the two cats could only stare in horror at the remains of their beloved woodland.