Chapter 25

Sandstorm dropped Smallear's kit at Brindleface's paws and turned to face the Clan. "It's shallow enough to wade most of the way," he yowled. "Much shallower than usual. There's a place in the middle where you'll have to swim, but you'll make it." The cats looked at him with horrified eyes. "You have to trust me!" he urged.

Brindleface met Sandstorm's gaze for a long heartbeat, then nodded calmly. He picked up Smallear's kit and waded into the river until he stood up to his belly in the dark water. Then he turned and flicked his tail for the others to follow.

Sandstorm felt a familiar scent in his nostrils, and a soft flame-colored pelt brushed against his shoulder. He looked down into Fireheart's green gaze.

"You think it's safe?" she murmured, pointing with her nose to the fast flowing river.

"Yes, I promise," Sandstorm replied, wishing with all his heart that they were somewhere else, far from this flame-threatened shore. He blinked slowly at the steadfast warrior beside him, trying to comfort her with his gaze when really he wanted to bury his muzzle in her fur and hide until this nightmare was over.

Fireheart nodded as if she could read his mind. Then she raced through the shallows and plunged into the deep central channel just as lightning lit up the rippling water. Sandstorm's chest tightened as the she-cat lost her footing on the pebbles and disappeared under the surface. He felt his heart stop beating and his ears roar like thunder as he waited for her to reappear.

Then Fireheart bobbed up, coughing and thrashing with her paws, but swimming steadily toward the far shore. She struggled out on the other side, her coat dark with water and clinging to her body, and called to her Clanmates, "Just keep your paws moving and you'll be okay!"

Sandstorm's chest ached with pride. He stared at the lithe shape, silhouetted against the trees on the other shore, and could hardly stop himself from leaping into the water and swimming to her side. But he had to see the rest of the Clan across first, and he forced himself to watch his Clanmates as they began to plunge headlong into the river.

Ferncloud and Brightpaw dragged Patchpelt's body to the water's edge. Ferncloud looked down at it, then gazed across the river, his expression bleak at the impossibility of carrying the dead cat to the other side when it would be difficult enough to swim alone.

Sandstorm padded to the warrior's side. "Leave her here," he murmured, even though the prospect of leaving another cat behind tore at his heart. "We can come back and bury her when the fire has passed."

Ferncloud nodded and waded into the river with Brightpaw. The apprentice was almost unrecognizable under the smoke stains, and Sandstorm touched his nose to the young cat's flank as he passed, hoping Brightpaw could sense how proud his mentor was of his quiet courage.

When Sandstorm lifted his head he saw Speckletail hesitating at the river's edge. On the far side, Fireheart was standing belly-deep in water, helping the cats as they struggled to the shore. She called encouragingly to the old pale ginger tabby tom, but Speckletail backed away as another bolt of lightning lit up the sky. Sandstorm dashed toward the trembling elder, grabbed him by the scruff, and plunged into the river. Speckletail wailed and floundered as Sandstorm struggled to keep his head above the surface. The water felt icy after the heat of the flames, and Sandstorm found himself gasping for breath, but he plowed on, trying to remember how easily Silverstream had swum this same channel.

Suddenly a swift current dragged him and Speckletail off course. Sandstorm flailed with his paws, feeling panic rise in his chest as he saw the gently sloping bank slip past and a steep wall of mud loom in its place. How would he climb out here, especially with Speckletail? The elderly tom had stopped struggling now, and hung like a deadweight in Sandstorm's jaws. Only his rasping breaths in Sandstorm's ears showed that he was still alive, and might yet survive the crossing. Sandstorm floundered in the water, trying to fight the current and keep Speckletail's muzzle above the water.