Chapter 6

Oleana was having tea with Countess Muchmoney and Duchess Diantha in the first-class dining saloon. They spent the afternoon gossiping and discussing matters such as Serena's engagement to Mivashkama. Some who survived the sinking say that Oleana relished the attention she was getting from the engagement more than she considered the other women true friends. They were a means to build up her social life in the higher class, which she could hardly do as Duke Yvonne's wife.

Suddenly, Oleana felt a hand on her shoulder. She turned her head and released a soft gasp at the sight of Chairman Rose standing beside her. The chairman gave her a warm smile, making her cheeks turn pink, and her heart flutter. Standing next to him was Aunt Sonia.

"Good afternoon, ladies," Chairman Rose greeted. "Are you enjoying your tea?"

"Indeed we are," Duchess Diantha said.

"I'm glad," Chairman Rose said before turning to Oleana. "I've heard something from Mivashkama about your stepdaughter almost falling off the ship, Oleana. I hope she is alright."

Countess Muchmoney and Duchess Diantha looked at Oleana and the chairman, confused, and Oleana stared at the chairman, equally befuddled.

"I beg your pardon? I haven't heard anything about that," she said.

"Really? Mivashkama told me himself," Chairman Rose said. "Apparently, Serena leaned too close to the railing, and a man from third class rescued her before she fell over. Mivashkama invited him to dinner tonight as a reward."

Oleana's eyes widened again. Never in a million years would she imagine a lord like Mivashkama even considering having a commoner be anywhere near him or Serena, regardless of what he did. She hoped that what she heard was a silly rumor or a prank made in bad taste.

"So sorry, Rose, but I find that hard to believe. I would think Lord Herløv or at least Serena would have told me if that were the case," Oleana said.

"Well, I don't see why someone would make something like that up. Maybe it never came to Serena or Mivashkama's mind when you last saw them," Aunt Sonia said.

"I agree. It's not like Mivashkama to make wild stories," Chairman Rose said. "He did say Captain Drake was there too. I'll be sure to check with him the next time I see him."

"Isn't that him over there?" Countess Muchmoney asked.

Everyone turned to where she was pointing to find Captain Drake passing by with Timothy, possibly having finished their afternoon tea.

"Ah, what timing," the chairman said. "Captain Drake, may we have a word with you?"

Captain Drake and Timothy turned to the chairman and walked over to him. They gave Aunt Sonia, Oleana, Countess Muchmoney, and Duchess Diantha a bow before turning to Chairman Rose.

"Captain Drake, we're hoping you can clear something up," Chairman Rose said. "I heard from Lord Herløv that Oleana's stepdaughter was rescued from falling off the ship by a young man from third class and that you were there. Is this true?"

"Yes, it is," Captain Drake said. "A few sailors heard Ms. Yvonne scream and thought the young man was attacking her, but she told us what really happened. Lord Herløv rewarded the young man by inviting him to dinner tonight."

"Is that so? Well, then, I hope I get a chance to meet this young man tonight," Duchess Diantha said.

"So do I," Timothy said.

"Me too. I wonder if he's good-looking," Aunt Sonia said.

"Ms. Magnolia, you can't seriously suggest you'd court a commoner of all things," Countess Muchmoney said.