Chapter 23

At around 4:00 in the morning, the Varpathion stopped, and survivors began rowing toward the ship. For the next 4 and a half hours, the crew of the Varpathion brought survivors on board and began collecting lifeboats. Blankets and coffee were provided for the survivors, who began lying down on the ship's top decks. A couple of the Vapathion's crewmen began collecting names to track who survived.

Ash and Serena lay down, napping on the floor of the forward deck, huddled together and sharing a blanket. Ash used a rolled-up blanket as a pillow while Serena laid her head on his chest. When Serena woke up past noon, she sat up and looked around with her and Ash's blanket covering half their body. Notably, most survivors resting on Varpathion's forward deck were third class passengers and Titanic staff members. They were also resting on the floor or huddled together, comforting each other for their losses. Maids passed by handing out drinks, and sailors had created a large pile of lifebelts. A couple of Titanic's firemen were standing at the starboard side smoking cigarettes that Varpathion's crew gave to help them keep warm. Some of the officers were still collecting names, and a couple of women had come up to them asking if they had their husbands' names on their list, begging them to say they were on the ship.

As Serena watched the women speak to the officers, she noticed someone coming down the steps to the forward deck from Varpathion's Bridge Deck, and her face became pale. Mivashkama was looking around with an ashen face and a long tear on the sleeve of his jacket. She overheard an officer coming to him, suggesting he didn't look around because no one in his class was there, but Mivashkama paid no mind.

Serena looked between Mivashkama and Ash before pulling her and Ash's blanket over them. She held onto Ash, praying Mivashkama would pass by. After a minute, Serena lifted the side of the blanket and saw Mivashkama's shoes as he passed them. Just then, Ash woke up, and he sat up to stretch. Serena tackled him back to a lying position and covered their bodies with the blanket again.

"Hey, what are you -?" Ash began before Serena covered his mouth.

"Be quiet and stay still. Mivashkama is here looking for us," Serena hissed.

Ash's eyes widened and froze in place, hoping Mivashkama didn't hear him. Serena lifted the blanket again, and her heart sank at seeing Mivashkama's feet pointing in their direction. Mivashkama slowly walked toward Ash and Serena, feeling sure that he recognized Ash's voice. Serena tightened her hold on Ash and prayed her ex-fiancee wouldn't find them. Mivashkama may not have Morfious, but there was still no telling how he would use his power as Lord of Hammerlocke to try to separate Ash and Serena again. Mivashkama stopped when he was about a foot away from the couple and took a knee. Ash and Serena shut their eyes and prepared for the worst as Mivashkama reached out for their blanket.

"MURDERER! MURDERER!"

Ash and Serena's eyes opened and they saw Mivashkama stand up and turn around. They couldn't see who was shouting, but they immediately recognized the voice.

"Chloe?" Ash whispered.

Serena lifted the blanket more to see everyone at the forward deck turn to Chloe. She was pointing at Mivashkama and looking daggers at him with tears in her eyes. She stormed toward Mivashkama, and two sailors held her back, thinking she was going to attack him.

"This man is a murderer!" Chloe screamed. "My husband and our friend just wanted to get into his boat just so they could survive!"

"Madame, please, control yourself," one of the sailors holding Chloe said.

"He beat our friend to death with an oar and then pushed my husband back! If he had found it in his heart to save them, my Goh would still be alive! Instead, he pushed him away, sending him to be crushed by a funnel. This man is a murderer!"