Cheesecake for Romina

I wake up considerably late, but my shift ended at two in the morning, so I guess it's justifiable.

"Lucy!"

"Morning Romi!" I smile, stifling a yawn.

"So," She jumps onto my bed. "What are you going to do today?"

"Right," I cringe. "You want cheesecake? I'll go buy you one for today."

"Yay!" Romina throws herself atop of me. "Cheesecake for my birthday!"

I smile at Romi before getting ready to go out.

"Romi, do I look like a zombie to add some makeup on?" I turn to the eight-year-old.

"Uh......." She examines my face. "You look okay. Some lipstick and eyeliner."

I nod as I fix up my appearance before grabbing my purse.

"Alright, remember," I fix her pigtails. "No opening the door to strangers. There's food in the fridge, cupboard, under the bed, wherever. And if some hobo tries to talk to you?"

"Sorry Mister, sissy's not home!" Romi beams. "Come back later or I call the polizia!"

"Good job, Romi." I pat her head. "I'll be back soon. Strawberry, plain or chocolate?" 

"Chocolate!"

"Alrighty," I grip the strap of my purse. "I'll be back soon. Attentive of your phone cuz if I call you and you don't answer, I'll turn Italy upside down."

"Okay." Romina rolls her eyes. "Watch out for the mafiosos."

"What did mom say?" I smile.

"She said the mafiosos need to watch out for you." Romina giggles. "I'll be fine. I always am."

"If not, remember, you can call Signore Alejandro for help."

"Mhm!"

I walk out and wait at the door until I hear it click, signaling Romina locked the door, and walk to Cassano Pasticceria for some cheesecake to celebrate Romina's eighth birthday. It takes me half an hour to get there before I enter the building, the familiar aromas of sweet, delicious delicacies hit my nose like a truck, and I sigh blissfully.

A familiar face greets me behind the counter of the pastry shop.

"Giovanni!" I smile at the son of the owner of the shop.

I look around for his father, but it's fruitless.

"Signore Cassano?"

"Had business to do today." Giovanni shrugs. "But he said he wished Romina a happy birthday."

"Speaking of which, I need a chocolate cheesecake for her birthday." I look at the pastries on display. "Ooh. This one's nice."

"Anything special on it?"

"Nothing much." I shake my head. "Extra chocolate."

"Say, Luciana, you still with your boyfriend?"

"I thought I told you Andres died?" I look at the pastries. "Caught in crossfire between mafiosos two years ago."

"Right, right." Giovanni nods. "Any relationship currently?"

"No."

"Still a- you know what?"

"A virgin? Yes." I nod. "Why?"

"No reason in particular." Is the answer I receive.

"You sure?"

"Positive." He hands me the cheesecake in a box. "Give a hug to Romina on my behalf, please?"

"Sure thing." I hand him his 28 needed Euros.