The Public Engagement

Matteo Vitali, a friend I've had since birth, practically. When my parents died, it was the Vitali family who made sure we, Romina and I, had somewhere to stay at. And now he's here. At a mafioso party. Wonder why.

"What're you doing here?" I ask.

"Likewise, Luciana." He replies.

His hazel eyes study me before he smiles warmly. His brown hair looks like he just woke up, sticking up nearly everywhere. The smile, his hair, it brings back memories.

"I'm glad to see you after so long." He hugs me.

I reciprocate the hug. The last time I saw him, I was seventeen. Romina was barely two. His warmth and everything, including the smell of his never changing cologne reminded me of the good times we had. From picnics on bright sunny days, to rainy school days when we rushed into the protection of the school buildings.

"So....." Matteo trails off. "Why are you here?"

"Always the detective, aren't you?" I tease.

"Well, if it involves my friend, obviously." He rolls his eyes playfully.

"I was kidnapped." I beam.

Matteo's face gives way to shock and then he smiles worriedly.

"You're joking, right?"

"No." I shake my head. "I really was. Say, do you have your phone on you? I need to call Romina since I don't have mine."

"It's actually disrespectful to take or make calls in a mafioso party," Matteo informs. "They'll probably think you're ready to attack them."

"Damn it." I frown. "I'm already late for work."

"Work should honestly be the least of your worries."

I look up at the stage of the room as Inaki Romano and Ace De Niro step up to it. Inaki gives thanks to everyone for coming as he announces that tonight he will also introduce his fiancée to everyone attending.

"Honestly," I examine Inaki Romano. "He has a fiancée. Who'd want to marry him?"

"You have history with the mafioso?"

"Eh, I guess," I shrug. "Bumped into him and he calls me a clumsy girl."

"You are."

"You're meant to contradict me!" I stomp my foot.

Two men in black suits come over to us and they turn to me.

"Are you Miss Luciana De Lobos?"

"Depends on who's asking." I look at the tallest one.

"Me?" He looks confused.

"Fair enough." I nod. "Yes. That's me."

"Please, come with us."

So, I follow them as they walk me up to the stage and I frown a bit before Inaki turns to me, with a surprisingly warm smile as he opens a ring box before me. I watch, plastering on a smile for the sake of not making him look bad, as he slips the ring onto my finger.

"Everyone, I present to you my fiancée, Luciana."

The crowd starts to clap before a soft and romance style melody is played. I pray Inaki won't try to serenade me because I can barely keep in my laughter at the prospect of being his fiancée.  Instead, I grip his hand as he takes it before turning us to face the crowd. I squeeze as hard as I possibly can for him to get the gist of my question.

What the hell is going on here?!

"Please, continue to enjoy this night of peace."

I catch Matteo's eyes trained on Inaki and he frowns a bit before leaving.