Chapter Thirty Four

S A R A

Krissy's words replay over and over again in my head as I pack my suitcase. "Mr. Mason had a heart attack. He didn't make it. Ty is a wreck. And he's made it pretty clear that I'm not the one he needs right now. I don't know what to do, Sara. As much as it hurts to admit, I think he needs you. Please come home."

Two days. Mr. Mason has been gone for two days and I only found out a few hours ago.

My eyes well with tears. Ty needs me. He needs me to be there for him and comfort him. Be strong for him. But how can I do that when it feels like my heart is being strangled in my chest?

And what if me showing up only makes things worse? What if he doesn't want to see me and that's why he hasn't called?

God, I hate this.

I feel useless right now, and I doubt going there will make me feel any differently. Because even though Krissy is the one who asked me to come, it's awkward.

For such a long time, I didn't care about the repercussions of our affair. I was too selfish. But now, after being wrapped up in my little bubble with James, I can't imagine the pain of finding out he's been seeing someone behind my back.

So I can only imagine how hard it was for Krissy to swallow her pride and ask me to come home.

Alec walks into my bedroom and takes a seat on the bed next to my suitcase. "James is gonna drop us off at the airport."

"Okay." I flash him a quick half-smile and go back to packing.

He lays back on the bed, tucking his hand behind his head as he stares up at the ceiling. "Rosy, why didn't you ask him to come?"

"James?" I ask and Alec nods. "He has a lot on his plate at work right—"

"The real reason, Sara," he cuts me off with an edge to his voice I'm not used to.

I sigh and zip up my suitcase before hauling it off the bed and onto the floor. Laying down beside Alec, I think about the actual reason I didn't ask him. "I don't know... I guess I don't know what's going to happen with Ty and I'd rather not subject him to seeing it."

"So," he rolls onto his side, looking at me, "what you're saying is you plan to play Ty's little fuckdoll the whole time we're there."

"Don't be an ass."

"Is that a yes?"

"It's an I don't know what's going to happen, Alec." I snap. "He's in a bad place right now. I don't even know if he's going to want to see me."

With a huff he sits up. "Trust me, he's not gonna turn you away. But you can be there for Ty as a friend and not fuck him."

"I know that."

"Do you?" He asks, turning back to me. "Because you've never said no to him before."

I sit up and shove his shoulder. "What is your problem?"

"My problem is him having this hold over you from thousands of miles away." He groans pushing off the bed. "He says jump and you don't even bother asking how high. You just fucking do it. No matter what the cost is to you."

"His dad is dead, Alec!" I shout, hating the harshness of my words. "Am I supposed to just find that out and stay here acting like everything is fine and fucking dandy?! Before everything else, he was my friend. And I'll be there for him in whatever way he needs me to be."

"And what about me? Huh?" Alec's arms go out wide as he yells and I can see the hurt on his face. "What about the fact that I lost Graham too and you haven't so much as given how I'm taking it a second thought?"