Chapter 2

Lina felt restless, she couldn't sit still. She paced the hallways and checked in with the nurses desk in her husband's wing.

"Dr. Kim isn't on the schedule today Mrs. Kim" The nurse reluctantly told Lina. Lina's teeth clenched behind her lips. Emotions of anger within her began to rise. Where would Min be on a night like this? Why wasn't he at work? Why didn't he answer her messages? She was eventually able to fall asleep in the recliner bedside Lexie's bed after sending four more texts to Min, including pre and post stitches of Lexie's wound.

The next morning Lina awoke early. No text from Min still. Her heart felt heavy. She started to worry about Min. The attending doctors agreed it was safe to send Lexie home. Lina began straightening up the room. There was a soft knock on the door. The nurse said there was a visitor. Han peeked his head in.

"Can I come in?" He said quietly. Lina nodded. She felt relieved to see him. He had brought her coffee and food. Lexie was playing in her bed with a toy.

"Uncle!" Lexie called out.

"Hey sweetie, I brought you something" He handed Lexie a big chocolate brownie wrapped in saran wrap.

"Brownie, I love brownies!" Lexie started to unwrap it. Han smiled. Lina was relieved to see her daughters smile again.

"That's really generous of you Han, thank you, really for everything" Lina said emphatically referring to his support in the past evening.

"Anything for my favorite niece" He patted Lexie's head, messing up her hair a little, she giggled munching down on her brownie.

Han insisted on driving them home.

"Did Min take a look at Lexie?" Han asked quietly on the ride home.

"No. I haven't heard from him" Lina looked out the window avoiding eye contact.

"Oh...he must have lots of surgeries" Said Han and didn't inquire further.

Han dropped them off at home.

"Bye you two, Jennie said call if you guys need anything" He waved goodbye.

Later that evening, after Lina put Lexie to bed she heard the front door close. Min entered their room where Lina was getting ready for bed.

"Where the hell were you Min?!" Lina demanded, trying to keep her voice down.
"Woah... Lin calm down! Lexie is fine, I saw the pictures" Min said nonchalantly, putting down his briefcase.

"You got my messages and didn't think to fucking answer me in the past 48 hours?!" Lina was furious.

"Fuck Lin it's not she was hurt that badly!" Min pulled his tie off roughly.

"You didn't see her! She was hysterical!" Lina screamed and immediately realized how loud she was.

"Where were you?" Lina managed to say it quieter through her teeth.

"I was in Tokyo, just a short trip" Min let out a sigh while sitting down to remove his socks, his back turned to her. Lina couldn't believe what she was hearing.

"You mean to tell me while our daughter was in the emergency room you were in Tokyo with your friends?" Lina replied in a resentful but calm tone.

"I had back to back surgeries all week, I needed a fucken break. You don't get it." Min removed his cufflinks, tossing them roughly into the glass tray on his night stand. They made a high pitched clink.

Lina stood there feeling enraged yet helpless.

"Lin, I don't know what to tell you, I give you everything you need." He said calmly while removing his dress shirt. Lina's fists were clenched.