Chapter 5 - Toni Stark

Toni's Point of View

Toni was woken up not even two hours later by a constant loud beep that filled the room. She tugged her cover over her head and burrowed further into it and her pillows, but not before catching a glimpse at the time from her bedside clock.

"JARVIS," she moaned from under her quilt, "whoever it is tell them to go away,"

"I am sorry miss," the refined English accent of her AI now replaced the beeping tone – although it still sounded like it was going off in her head (she made a mental note to fix it, maybe she should have it play Frank Sinatra instead?) "-but there are several agents from SHIELD in the lobby,"

Seriously?

It was bad enough that Phil got into the building when technically it wasn't even open yet – and she liked Phil – but having complete strangers just wandering around the building was not on.

"Have their IDs checked out, JARVIS?" she asked quickly, not at all paranoid, nope, not one little bit.

"All their identifications check out, miss," came the ever sober reply from JARVIS and the slight panic that had been building somewhere in her chest receded. Not that anything would have happened to her if they weren't from SHIELD She could be in her suit in under ten seconds and she would have them all blasted to kingdom come before they could even fire a round, but she still felt uneasy with being without Pip.

"They are requesting to speak with you,"

She snorted. Yeah right. SHIELD do not 'request' to talk to anyone. They just do it. Or kidnap you, lock you in your own home and cut you off from all forms of communication. Ah yes, good times.

"Are they still in the lobby, JARVIS?"

"For the time being. They have been trying to contact you through the intercom but you disengaged it last week," she smiled slightly at the memory. She had finally gotten fed up of the work men playing beam-me-up-Scotty with it and had switched off the whole system – it had been funny to watch them when they thought they had broken it. Their panic stricken faces had been priceless.

"I though it prudent to contact you when they began to speak of screwdrivers,"

She cringed at that. Not only did they come to see her without so much as a phone call but then they wanted to take apart the buildings internal communication network. Idiots!

"Would you like me to patch them through?"

She sighed wearily, getting used to the idea that she would be getting no more sleep today and finally lowered the quilt from her face and rolled to her back.

"Go for it JARVIS, and don't forget to mask my voice," she reminded him, all though she knew she didn't need to and that he would disguise her voice automatically when it came to unknowns.

"Mr Stark," a very male and slightly congested voice filled her room. She almost felt sorry for the guy who was obviously coming down with the cold.

"Can we speak with you please?"

Toni smirked to herself. She knew what that was code for but she refused to make it easy for them. After all, it went against all of her principles to make anything easy for anyone.

"I believe that is what we are doing now, Agent…?" she wondered if he was a newbie, or maybe he had pulled the short straw. That was usually what happened when agents got sent her way.

"Hunter. And face to face would be ideal, sir," ok, so obviously not a newbie, they tended to freeze up for a few seconds and then trip through an explanation.