Chapter Three

It was a three day journey. Three days of humid, hot weather and Jade the deer as their only company. Amanita reached the witches home exhausted but determined. Amanita knocked and the heavy wooden door swung open, revealing quite an enthusiastic middle aged woman.

"The trees told me of your travels. You're here for your quite exquisite path of mushrooms you leave in your steps. Come in!" Her enthusiasm was definitely not what Amanita expected but went along with it.

The cottage was absolutely packed with plants, which the witch seemed to pluck specific leaves and herbs as she made her way towards her boiling cauldron in the center of the kitchen.

"I was just finishing up the potion for you. I will admit I wasn't expecting you to bring a friend but I love surprises." Jade didn't pay her any mind as it munched on a nearby potted flower. Amanita watched closely as the witch brewed the potion, the boiling blue liquid turning a purple-pink tone. It was then poured into a mug, handing it to Amanita.

"This should solve your problem!"

"What's the price for this?" Amanita asked. The witch waved the question away with a frown.

"Oh don't worry about it. I only charge for difficult to make spells or potions. This was a–the deer!" Amanita hadn't noticed they were holding the mug so low, that Jade the deer took it upon itself to take a much needed drink.

By the time the witch or Amanita took notice, the mug was practically empty when Amanita jerked the mug away from Jade's face. The deers face felt as if it was mocking Amanita.

"Well...that is definitely unfortunate, but I can still help. I can put a spell on those wonderfully crafted boots of yours that can lessen the extremity of the growth of mushrooms."

Despite Amanita's slight frustration with what just happened, they allowed the witch to cast her spell on their boots and sent Amanita and Jade the deer on their way. Amanita did notice the witch plucking the mushrooms that accumulated in and around her home, quite happy about it. That seemed to be enough payment for her.

~~~

     Three days back home, Amanita noticed Jade the deer ate the mushrooms, which now only grew every so often when they stepped rather than every step. It wasn't gone but it was an improvement. The potion that Jade had drunk also seemed to have a good effect on things. Jade was still quite a hungry deer, and ate up the mushrooms but yet never once threw them up.

     With things looking up, Amanita had a plan a few days after returning home. After noticing the witches' love for plants. Amanita decided to make use of the mushrooms and sell them to her for money, which they would save up to travel back to their hometown and visit their father. They also would sell them anonymously to local markets.

     After months of saving money, Amanita and Jade the deer boarded a ship and sailed north. The mushrooms did make for compilations when it came to intersecting or passing other passengers, but Amanita didn't feel all too embarrassed about it. They were too happy during the journey, excited to reach shore. Jade the deer seemed to as well, who did miss greenery and will not miss cold blue waves.

     The northern weather helped lessen the mushroom's growth as Amanita walked up and around the winding paths of the village, Jade slowly behind, looking for their father's house. After many miles of walking and a quick stop for a rest, Amanita came across the old restaurant they and their father would go to.

     Sitting at one of the outdoor tables was Amanita's father, dressed warmly and drinking coffee. Amanita and their father spotted each other very quickly, and relief set in when their father waved them over with a smile, asking to hear what all they've been up to for the past few years.

~The End~