Welcome to Adelaide

Jiang Han

"Do you believe in magic?" She asked me with her eyes looking up at me expectantly.

"Who are you?"

The girl with eyes that looked like the Earth we lived upon gave me a slight frown at my ignorance of her peculiar question.

"I am the servant to the princess of Adelaide."

She dusted her long dress off that was a deep blue with white fringes. It was long sleeved and covered everything up to her wrists. Puffy sleeves adorned her frail looking arms and her hands were covered with silk like gloves. A blue bow sat perfectly on the back of her whipping brown hair that helped tie up the parts that would get in her face.

"Adelaide, the abandoned kingdom? Is this a joke?"

"No sir, I am being very honest with you."

Her eyes bore into mine with a serious look but at the same time she had a sense of curiosity in them.

"Honest I see... and where might everyone be?"

Her hand flew up and a single finger pointed out like she remembered something.

"Mmm," she hummed, "I was sent to fish you for supper, you are just in time!"

Little claps of joy as she jumped a little on her feet made a smile almost reach my lips.

"You are hungry, correct? I think I prepared enough food for everyone."

"Yes, it is alright. I would love to join you for... supper?"

I didn't know why but the childish girl seemed to have a large impact on me. Her emotions reflected onto me like I was looking at a mirror and I have never felt the need to try to reciprocate someone's kindness.

Her clothed hands took me by the hand and a strange sensation filled me. My breathing grew heavier as an unknown warmth spread across my chest.

"Are you okay?"

Hands cupped my face as I slowly sank to my knees. Dazed eyes looked up to meet her anxious ones and her hands raked through my hair in a soothing way.

"It's okay, it's okay. I got you."

I shuddered again from the fire burning within me. The back of her palm touched my forehead and she grimaced with confusion. She started to shed my fur coat and after hesitating on where to put it, she folded it neatly into a portable size and stuffed it into the pocket of the horse's saddle. As soon as her hand let go of me the burning stopped and cold air filled my lungs once again cooling my body down.

She turned to me and let out a quick sigh.

"You scared me there for a second. Are you sure you are alright?"

Her eyes just melted into mine with gentleness. My hands snuck my way back into hers and I felt the calming warmth again. She was taken back by my random actions but soon continued raking her fingers through my hair.

"The others are waiting for you, general."

Snapping me out of my trance I let go of her and cleared my throat roughly.

"How far is the kingdom from here? Is it far?"

"Not exactly..." She trailed off.

"So, do you believe in magic?"

"No."

I was quick to say the word no although it was pure magic I felt something in my chest that weighed me down as if I was experiencing gaining a heart for the first time. A giggle reached my ears and I looked down to see her crouching down by the ground. She peered into the ground like she could see something beyond it that I couldn't.